Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2010/01/08 17:50:10 UTC

Board report time.....

Once again, it's time for our quarterly board report.    This is what I have.
Anyone have additional thoughts and stuff for it?

Releases:
2.1.8 was released
2.2.5 was released
DOSGi 1.1 was released

Final preparations for 2.1.9 and 2.2.6 releases are occuring now and will
likely be in the process of being voted on by the board meeting.

The CXF developers have decided that 2.1.9 will be the last patch release for
2.1.x (which has been out for 22 months) so we can concentrate more on getting
2.3 finished.  Users have been notified to start migrating to 2.2.x.

Committers:
Cyrille Le Clerc added as a committer

Community:
The CXF committer community did an amazing job this quarter doing JIRA triage
and bug fixing.    The "bug" count in JIRA is now under 30 open bugs (with
several blocked on bugs in external dependencies) and under 140 total issues.

User and dev list traffic remains pretty steady and generally questions and
issues are answered promptly.    Vacations and such over the holidays did
cause some minor delays and backlogs, but that seems to be cleared up now.

Another exciting development has been the publication of the first technical
books about CXF.    Previously, there were not any books about CXF which was a
short coming.   In December, TWO books were published about CXF.
1) Apache CXF Web Service Development: http://cxf.soaweb.co.in/
2) Developing Web Services with Apache CXF and Axis2 (3rd Edition):
http://www.agileskills2.org/DWSAA/index.html
Neither were written by CXF committers so it really was the user community
responding to a need.    (And thanks to Brett Porter for being a reviewer on
the first one.  :-)     Also, a section about CXF's JAX-RS implementation was
put into Bill Burke's "RESTful Java with JAX-RS" book.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org