Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Ronald Francis (DEV)" <ro...@norvergence.com> on 2003/10/28 16:47:35 UTC

Performance tip ?

I have an application in which I use FOP to generate about 12 documents
on the fly. I then use Itext to concatenate these documents and serve it
out using a servlet- (just easier for my end users to print one document
instead of 12)

Most of these docuements are small one page documents, only a couple
have 2 pages .

I've read the performance tuning tips on the FAQ pages , and have
implemented an object pool for my Driver & renderer.

Question one - Will creating one FO document , instead of 12 distinct
ones improve performance ? Significantly to justify storing 12 documents
as one ? These documents share common static-content (logos). I realize
I stand to gain a liitle anyways as I will not need Itext to concat the
files.

Thanks in advance ,
Ron

NOTE: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification or notification is required please reply to this email immediately. NorVergence, Inc.

RE: font-variant property getting inherited ?

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hmmm, using nested fo:inline's... not exactly my favourite choice.

> I expect the output to be
>
> SOME SMALL CAPS TEXT regular text SOME SMALL CAPS TEXT

Can you make it:

<fo:inline font-family="Arial" font-variant="normal">
  <fo:inline font-variant="small-caps">some small caps text</fo:inline>
  <fo:inline> some regular text </fo:inline>

?

> but here is what I get
>
> SOME SMALL CAPS TEXT REGULAR TEXT SOME SMALL CAPS TEXT

It's weird but consider it this way:
You have one (surrounding) fo:inline with a property requiring its
text-content to be converted to uppercase. I'm betting the font-variant
setting on the inner fo:inline *is* having an impact, but just not the one
you'd expect...

Greetz,

Andreas

Re: font-variant property getting inherited ?

Posted by Abhijit Junnare <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Replying to myself.
Oops it is workijng. The capital was coming from XML i
mean the xml said REGULAR TEXT instead of regular
text.
Thanks,
Abhi

RE: Performance tip ?

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip/>
> Most of these docuements are small one page documents, only a couple have
2 pages .

In that case, I guess the net difference --whether that's improvement or
not, I'm not sure- will hardly be noticeable, although the 'one FO' approach
does offer the full flexibility of XSL-FO.
In combination with the cached stylesheet tip mentioned on the site, I think
this *could* be reason enough to abandon iText altogether, depending on the
particulars of your scenario.

Greetz,

Andreas