Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Thomas Werthmann-Auzinger <th...@prudential.com> on 2000/10/11 17:45:49 UTC

alternate mailing lists? (was: Deriving from SOAP:Envelope)

Hi,

I didn't get a response yet to my question (see below). What other mailing lists
would be appropriate to post this message to and likely yield an answer?

Thanks,

Thomas
---------------------- Forwarded by Thomas Werthmann-Auzinger/IIG/Prudential on
10/11/2000 11:42 AM ---------------------------
Thomas Werthmann-Auzinger    Tuesday October 10, 2000 12:03 PM
-      (973) 716-6785     Fax Number: -
To:   soap-user@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Deriving from SOAP:Envelope  (Document link: Database 'Thomas
      Werthmann-Auzinger', View '($Sent)')

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the XML/XML Schema/SOAP world. I want to define a protocol for
some of our business services and want to base it on SOAP (hoping it will become
a standard).

Can I create my own Envelope/Header/Body types in my own namespace, derived from
SOAP:Envelope?

The reason I want to do this is that I want to specify which requests go with
which responses, which headers with which bodies, etc. SOAP leaves the door wide
open with respect to content, and a plain business schema doesn't tell me
anything about transport.

Below is an example of a schema that specifies *both* business protocol and
transport protocol. I created custom complexTypes and Elements for
Header/Body/Envelope, applying the following (arbitrary) changes:

- in prot:Envelope the Header is required.
- prot:Header must only contain elements for serviceRep, department, and ticket,
which comes from another custom namespace.
- prot:Body must only contain elements for a beneficiary, an amount, and a
policyNumber, coming from the namespace mentioned above.

Is this a feasible?
Will SOAP servers accept requests conforming to "prot"? (IMHO they should,
provided all the schemas are accessible via a schemaLocation)
Are there other ways to constrain SOAP derived protocols?
Can Schemas/Namespaces be used that way?

Thanks,

Thomas

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE xsd:schema PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XMLSCHEMA 19991216//EN" "" [
  <!ENTITY % p 'xsd:'>
  <!ENTITY % s ':xsd'>
]>
<xsd:schema
  targetNamespace="http://www.myOwnCo.com/protocol"
  xmlns:prot="http://www.myOwnCo.com/protocol"
  xmlns:biz="http://www.myOwnCo.com/business"
  xmlns:SOAP="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">

  <element name="Envelope" type="prot:Envelope"/>
  <complexType name="Envelope" base="SOAP:Envelope">
    <element ref="prot:Header" minOccurs="1"/>
    <element ref="prot:Body" minOccurs="1"/>
    <any minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="*"/>
    <anyAttribute/>
  </complexType>

  <element name="Header" type="prot:Header"/>
  <complexType name="Header" base="SOAP:Header">
    <xsd:sequence>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:serviceRep"/>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:department"/>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:ticket"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    <anyAttribute/>
  </complexType>

  <element name="Body" type="prot:Body"/>
  <complexType name="Body" base="SOAP:Body">
    <xsd:sequence>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:beneficiary"/>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:policyNumber"/>
      <xsd:element ref="biz:amount"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    <anyAttribute/>
  </complexType>
</xsd:schema>

Re: alternate mailing lists? (was: Deriving from SOAP:Envelope)

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
you should post it to the DM SOAP list, see
http://discuss.develop.com/soap.html

Cheers
Simon

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.