Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org> on 2011/07/19 16:47:58 UTC

[lang] IOUtils in tests [Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)]

Personally, I'm OK with using JUnit and mocking utilities as they are
both specifically intended for testing. I think using IOUtils in
testing [lang] is distinctly dubious, especially for a single method,
and I'd much rather see the code copied. This isn't a -1 veto, but its
a strong disapproval.

Stephen

Re: [lang] IOUtils in tests [Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)]

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Goo to know. If IO is imported just for one test case, then +1 for
Stephen's suggestion. Copy the code and shrink the dependency graph.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
On 19 July 2011 16:32, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you say "Personally, I'm OK with using JUnit and mocking utilities as
> they are both specifically intended for testing." are you thinking that
> there are alternative solutions?. IMO, JUnit is a requirement, not something
> we should even consider cutting and pasting, not something that is just "OK"
> to depend on, it is an established standard for this project.

That was an 'ok' as in good. We should depend on JUnit/mocking, not copy them!

IOUtils is an end user library, and depending on it makes the test
more of an integration test.

Stephen

Re: [lang] IOUtils in tests [Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC4)]

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Stephen Colebourne
<sc...@joda.org>wrote:

> Personally, I'm OK with using JUnit and mocking utilities as they are
> both specifically intended for testing. I think using IOUtils in
> testing [lang] is distinctly dubious, especially for a single method,
> and I'd much rather see the code copied. This isn't a -1 veto, but its
> a strong disapproval.

Hi Stephen,

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Where's the hurt in adding it as a test dependency?

Keeping the main dependencies tight is good; but I don't understand
the value in an overtight test dependency list.

In this case IO seems to make sense. It will encourage more test-data
being used for testing by making it easier to throw data around.

Hen

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I think it's about intention. If you have intentions of further
> expanding the user of Commons IO in test cases, I think it makes sense
> to use it as a dependency. But if it is simply a one-off without plans
> of further use, then I would copy the method.

Hello Paul,

Ah, I see, yes, I do plan on reusing and not copying whenever possible,
especially when that functionality is already well tested. That's what I do
at work. Here, I certainly do not want to cut and paste one method, then
another and another as time goes on. At what point is it no longer
acceptable to cut and paste and depend on the jar? I do not see a clear
metric. I also do not want to spend time undoing cutting and pasting methods
to implement depending on the jar. That feels like spinning my wheels.

Out of curiosity, I did look at how much code could would be needed to cut
and paste from [io], and because of the way the code is factored, it would
have been more than one method (5 or 6 I think.) The functionality can be
easily written in one method, but I do not plan on spending my time doing
that either, I prefer to reuse a well tested method.

Gary

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.