Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca> on 2010/05/14 20:02:58 UTC

Maven 3.0-beta-1 backwards compatibility issue with maven-resources-plugin

Hi,

Just tried out one of my projects with 3.0-beta-1 and discovered an issue
which I would like help on. The issue boils down to "when and how is
targetPath resolved in maven-resources-plugin" in 3.0-beta-1 versus 2.2.1.

I have a bare-bones POM and a couple of text files that can demonstrate
the issue which I can attach to a JIRA (if requested).

My <resources> section looks like:

         <resources>
             <resource>
                 <targetPath>../${app.key}</targetPath>
                 <filtering>true</filtering>
             </resource>
         </resources>

My plugins section has properties-maven-plugin bringing properties into
the project (only single property app.key). The configuration is as
follows:

             <plugin>
                 <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                 <artifactId>properties-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>1.0-alpha-2</version>
                 <executions>
                     <execution>
                         <id>read-project-properties</id>
                         <phase>initialize</phase>
                         <goals>
                             <goal>read-project-properties</goal>
                         </goals>
                         <configuration>
                             <files>
                               <file>src/main/filters/site.properties</file>
                             </files>
                         </configuration>
                     </execution>
                 </executions>
             </plugin>

Finally, my filter section is as follows:

         <filters>
             <filter>src/main/filters/site.properties</filter>
         </filters>

site.properties has only 1 line:
app.key=projectA

So, in maven 2.2.1 (mvn clean process-resources), I am expecting 2 things
(works as expected):

a) contents of src/main/resources should be filtered using site.properties
b) contents of src/main/resources should be copied to target/projectA

In maven 3.0-beta-1, with the same POM and files:

a) contents of src/main/resources are filtered using site.properties
b) *PROBLEM* contents of src/main/resources are copied to
target/${app.key}

If I run maven 3.0-beta-1 with -X switch "mvn -X clean process-resources",
I do see properties-maven-plugin having done its job, as app.key does show
up with value projectA in the "[DEBUG] properties used" line.

Where should I concentrate?

a) maven-3.0-beta-1
b) properties-maven-plugin in conjunction with maven-3.0-beta-1
c) maven-resources-plugin in conjunction with maven-3.0-beta-1

Any help is appreciated.

Haroon Rafique
<ha...@utoronto.ca>

Re: Maven 3.0-beta-1 backwards compatibility issue with maven-resources-plugin

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Haroon Rafique wrote:

> Anything else I can do? Sample project with POM in a JIRA?

Thanks but we already have an integration test for the related issue
MNG-3530.

Benjamin

Re: Maven 3.0-beta-1 backwards compatibility issue with maven-resources-plugin

Posted by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca>.
On Today at 4:19pm, BB=>Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> wrote:

BB> Haroon Rafique wrote:
BB>
BB> > <resources>
BB> > <resource>
BB> > <directory>src/main/resources</directory>
BB> > <targetPath>../${app.key}</targetPath>
BB> > <filtering>true</filtering>
BB> > </resource>
BB> > </resources>
BB> >[...]
BB> > a) maven-3.0-beta-1
BB> > b) properties-maven-plugin in conjunction with maven-3.0-beta-1
BB>
BB> This setup requires a questionable feature [0] to work. Questionable because
BB> it decreases performance but serves only few use cases. It's not yet clear
BB> whether it will be supported in 3.x.
BB>
BB>
BB> Benjamin
BB>
BB>
BB> [0] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dynamic+POM+Build+Sections

Thanks for the link. I read the page and it makes sense.

Here's another data point. This feature didn't work in 2.0.9 and did work
fantastically in 2.2.1. Not sure about 2.0.10 or 2.1.x as I jumped from
2.0.9 straight to 2.2.1.

Anything else I can do? Sample project with POM in a JIRA?

Cheers,

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.