Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2007/08/24 07:27:34 UTC

Log4j and OSGi

What does everyone think about releasing OSGi ready Log4j jars?  OSGi
is quickly becoming popular.  In order for OSGi apps to depend on
Log4j in an OSGi environment, certain MANIFEST.mf entries need to
exist.  There's a Maven plugin that performs the OSGi packaging
called the "maven-bundle-plugin".

I'm not necessarily suggesting we get this in for 1.2.15, but maybe
for the following release.  The plugin would look something like the
following (see below).  This is based on Log4j bundles predefined at
osgi.org [1] as well as looking at the Apache Felix project [2] and
how the "maven-bundle-plugin" is used in that project.  In addition
to tweaking the <Export-Package> below, we may also want to define
<Import-Package> and <Private-Package> (among other possible bundle
manifest attributes to define).

The SLF4J project made their jar artifacts OSGi friendly.  Seems like
a good idea to do the same for Log4j.

Thoughts?

Jake

[1]
http://www2.osgi.org/Repository/HomePage?cmd=browse&keywords=log4j&submit=search
[2] http://felix.apache.org/

       <plugin>
         <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
         <version>1.1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
         <extensions>true</extensions>
         <configuration>
           <instructions>
             <Bundle-Name>Log4j</Bundle-Name>
             <Bundle-Vendor>Apache Logging Log4j Project</Bundle-Vendor>
             <Bundle-Description>Log4j</Bundle-Description>
             <Export-Package>
                org.apache.log4j,
                org.apache.log4j.chainsaw,
                org.apache.log4j.config,
                org.apache.log4j.helpers,
                org.apache.log4j.jdbc,
                org.apache.log4j.jmx,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.config,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.util,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.viewer,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.viewer.categoryexplorer,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.viewer.configure,
                org.apache.log4j.lf5.viewer.images,
                org.apache.log4j.net,
                org.apache.log4j.nt,