Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/07/18 15:28:36 UTC

Proposal for Sling IDE Tooling release process

Hi,

The release process for the initial version of the Sling IDE Tooling
was a bit rough. We discovered a few problems even after the release
was completed. To sum up the discussions, we had

- an initial call for comments on the release process [1]
- an initial release vote based on a source bundle [2]
- a second release vote based on a staged Maven repository [3]

The first release, based on a source bundle, was canceled because it
was based on a SNAPSHOT version and was uploaded on a global public
space ( https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/sling ) .

The second release was approved but it was later found out that no
source bundle was uploaded to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/sling
[4]. Indeed, the Maven-based source artifacts can not be used to
easily rebuild the final product.

For the second release, I'd like to make this a bit smoother :-) .
Therefore, I propose the following process:

1. Vote will be held on a source bundle which can be used to rebuild
the product using mvn clean package
2. The source bundle ( jar file ) will be uploaded to
repository.apache.org in a staging repo
3. Once the vote is passed the staging repo will be dropped ( not
promoted ) as there is no sense to publish only a source bundle to
Maven Central
4. The source bundle will be uploaded to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/sling/eclipse/$VERSION, together
with two convenience binary sets
  - a zipped update site, to download for offline installation
  - an expanded update site, to install directly from Eclipse

I'd appreciate any comments on this process as I plan to start a new
release vote in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: http://sling-dev.markmail.org/thread/d2gmgsmwe4uhobsb
[2]: http://sling-dev.markmail.org/thread/73vpkohly64mgm7m#query:+page:1+mid:epzey4nw2oklerti+state:results
[3]: http://sling-dev.markmail.org/thread/s6xvoxqjcorc54cn
[4]: http://sling-dev.markmail.org/thread/hgxbejjrmn4wrpsv

Re: Proposal for Sling IDE Tooling release process

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
On 7/21/14 1:38 PM, "Robert Munteanu" <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/sling/
>>
>> which you already seem to have been using.
>>
>> I suggest to upload the full release candidate there and vote upon it.
>>Once done it can be "svn cp"-ed over to the appropriate release/sling
>>folder. To ease the process you might create a IDE-tooling-$VERSION
>>folder in dev/sling to make it easy to find the artifacts to vote.
>>
>> This way, we have everything in one place and can also have people test
>>the release binaries along with the sources. Also we don't have the
>>hassle of creating and dropping a repo on repository.apache.org.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>
>Sounds good to me. I will to use this approach for the next release,
>unless someone thinks otherwise.

+1

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: Proposal for Sling IDE Tooling release process

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Robert