Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lax Clarke <la...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/02 04:49:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Forward web connections to different URLs to different ip/port's ?

Hi,

Is there a way we can forward different URLs in HTTP connections to
different ip/port's?
After the forward, I'd like the maintain the same URL in the browser.

I want the forward to be a full handoff... that is, a different program is
listening for web connections on those ip/ports (different thread per each
port).

Any pointer to documentation or google search term would be useful.

I'm having trouble narrowing down my search.  I've tried "VirtualHosts" and
ProxyPass/ReverseProxyPass, but it's not quite working (as the best I can
get is that apache default web page loading).

Thanks,
Lax

RE: [users@httpd] Forward web connections to different URLs to different ip/port's ?

Posted by David Balažic <da...@comtrade.com>.
Lax Clarke wrote:

> Is there a way we can forward different URLs in HTTP connections to different ip/port's?
> After the forward, I'd like the maintain the same URL in the browser.
>
> I want the forward to be a full handoff... that is, a different program is listening for web connections on those ip/ports (different thread per each port).
>
> Any pointer to documentation or google search term would be useful.
>
> I'm having trouble narrowing down my search.  I've tried "VirtualHosts" and ProxyPass/ReverseProxyPass, but it's not quite working (as the best I can get is that apache default web page loading).

Sounds like a use case for mod_proxy.

ProxyPass               /url1/    http://server1:8081/VS.web/
ProxyPassReverse        /url1/   http://server1:8081/VS.web/

ProxyPass               /url2/ http://server2:88/VS.web/
ProxyPassReverse        /url2/ http://server2:88/VS.web/

This will pass the  /url1/*  URLS to server1 port 8081  and URLS beigging with /url2/ to server2 port 88

Each HTTP connection would go to the apache server and then there be forwarded (proxyed) to the server1 or server2.

Regards,
David Balažic

Re: [users@httpd] Forward web connections to different URLs to different ip/port's ?

Posted by "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da...@Vex.Net>.
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 00:49:14 -0400
Lax Clarke <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way we can forward different URLs in HTTP connections to
> different ip/port's?

Sure, a simple redirect as you probably already know.

> After the forward, I'd like the maintain the same URL in the browser.

Since the URL displayed is handled by the browser you will see the port
number.  The only way around that is to proxy the other page.

> I want the forward to be a full handoff... that is, a different
> program is listening for web connections on those ip/ports (different
> thread per each port).

And this requirement breaks that solution.  The original server needs
to be involved.  As stated you have conflicting requirements.

Perhaps if you told us what you were trying to accomplish someone might
have a better solution for you.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net