Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2008/03/11 15:18:58 UTC

Camel tutorial

L.S.,

Just finished writing a new tutorial on using Apache Camel inside
ServiceMix.  It's currently available in the Sandbox for review at
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/3.+Beginner+-+Using+Apache+Camel+inside+ServiceMix
before moving it to a more prominent location on the website.

Since writing these tutorials is very time-consuming, I would like to
come up with a more lightweight variant to add information to the
website in more or less standard format.  How about adding
component-specific cookbook pages that would only cover a single topic,
example, ...?  I think these could be good instrument to streamline some
of the other information that is now shattered throughout the wiki/unit
tests.  Just few examples:
- the information on how to connect to WebSphere MQ would make a good
candidate for a servicemix-jms cookbook page
- some of our unit tests could be published as a snippet with just a bit
of extra documentation around them to make things comprehensible

Thoughts?

Gert

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by Reda <ma...@libero.it>.
Very nice tutorial! It would be nice have an example that stores data to a
database...
Thanks

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.
Yes, attachments put into properties seems like a "dirty" solution.
I think the message interface should be extended for it and the
implementing classes as well.

Another thing is afterwards to extend the JBI2Camel Bridge to handle the
attachments correctly.

Regards,
Lars

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lars Heinemann
- Development -

Compart Systemhaus GmbH
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 38
71034 Böblingen
Germany

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Harald Grumser
Registergericht/Register Court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Handelsregisternummer/Trade Register Number: HRB 243215

tel +49 7031 6205-487
fax +49 7031 6205-555
mailto:Lars.Heinemann@compart.net
http://www.compart.net

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/2008, Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net> wrote:
> James,
>
>  is there any plan on implementing attachment support for camel messages?

Yeah, it should be pretty easy to do. I guess you could add
attachments to custom properties on an Exchange today but am sure we
could do a nicer job.

I've added a JIRA to track it...

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by Lars Heinemann <la...@compart.net>.
James,

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Great stuff! :)

I've added links in the camel site...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/jbi.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/cookbook.html

On 13/03/2008, Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> wrote:

>  James,
>
>  I've just moved the tutorial into the published tutorials section.  The URL
>  to link to would be
>  http://servicemix.apache.org/3-beginner-using-apache-camel-inside-servicemix.html.
>
>  Gert
>

>  James.Strachan wrote:
>  >
>  > ...
>

>  >> It's currently available in the Sandbox for review at
>  >>
>  >> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/3.+Beginner+-+Using+Apache+Camel+inside+ServiceMix
>  >>  before moving it to a more prominent location on the website.
>  >
>  > It'd be good to add links to this tutorial in the Camel site too. Lets
>  > figure out what the URL is gonna be longer term so we can start the
>  > link-love :)
>  >

>  -----
>  ---
>  Gert Vanthienen
>  http://www.anova.be
>  --

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
James,

James.Strachan wrote:

>> It's currently available in the Sandbox for review at
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/3.+Beginner+-+Using+Apache+Camel+inside+ServiceMix
>>  before moving it to a more prominent location on the website.
>
> It'd be good to add links to this tutorial in the Camel site too. Lets
> figure out what the URL is gonna be longer term so we can start the
> link-love :)

-----
---
Gert Vanthienen
http://www.anova.be

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/03/2008, Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> wrote:
> L.S.,
>
>  Just finished writing a new tutorial on using Apache Camel inside
>  ServiceMix.

Great stuff!

> It's currently available in the Sandbox for review at
>  http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/3.+Beginner+-+Using+Apache+Camel+inside+ServiceMix
>  before moving it to a more prominent location on the website.

It'd be good to add links to this tutorial in the Camel site too. Lets
figure out what the URL is gonna be longer term so we can start the
link-love :)

>  Since writing these tutorials is very time-consuming, I would like to
>  come up with a more lightweight variant to add information to the
>  website in more or less standard format.  How about adding
>  component-specific cookbook pages that would only cover a single topic,
>  example, ...?

Good idea. It is hard figuring out a nice way to organise the site in
an easy to navigate way. Having a cookbook or solutions/tutorial index
or something sounds good.

>  I think these could be good instrument to streamline some
>  of the other information that is now shattered throughout the wiki/unit
>  tests.

Agreed!

>  Just few examples:
>  - the information on how to connect to WebSphere MQ would make a good
>  candidate for a servicemix-jms cookbook page

Agreed

>  - some of our unit tests could be published as a snippet with just a bit
>  of extra documentation around them to make things comprehensible

Yeah
--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel tutorial

Posted by lhein <lh...@apache.org>.
Doing a cookbook for smx is a really good idea.

Regards,
Lars