Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/15 21:28:18 UTC

How about a Certification Authority (CA) portlet in Geronimo Console?

Hi,

How about having a Certificate Authority portlet in Geronimo Console?  A
full fledged CA may be a long way to go.  But what ever minimum function is
required to process CSR's etc. is not hard and the users can issue their own
digital certificates instead of getting trial certificates from some CA.  I
have already given it a try and the minimum required function can be derived
from what ever is available in geronimo-util module.

I will wait for comments from community before proceeding further.

Thanks,
Vamsi

Re: How about a Certification Authority (CA) portlet in Geronimo Console?

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
OK, let's forget for a sec about the geronimo-plugins. The original note was about input for adding a new CA feature.

AFAIK we don't have that feature, do we?

I mentioned geronimo-plugins having in mind the chance to choose whether you want that feature or not. I did not mean to diverge the discussion.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
You can deploy new portlets as WARs.  But in order for the portal to
include them, you have to use the hacky GBean that updates the portal
config files, and then either hit a hand-crafted URL or restart the
server to make the console notice.  The main problem is that the
console isn't very happy if you later remove said WARs, though I
haven't looked into that problem in detail.  The latest version of
Pluto should eliminate most of these problems, though we still need to
think of some way to provide a hook to take action when the WAR is
uninstalled.

Anyway, I think a CA portlet would be cool.

Thanks,
     Aaron

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: How about a Certification Authority (CA) portlet in Geronimo Console?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Well ... sorta and sorta not ...

Aaron did some work in the Quartz plugin that included a brute force
method to add new items to the admin console via a GBean included with
the Quartz plugin that modifies the Pluto portal config.  It's really
creative stuff within the limits of the current Pluto implementation
.... but it has its limits.  It is only additive at the moment and isn't
really integrated with core Geronimo (as it's a super-intelligent GBean
that just knows the Pluto structure and this Gbean is currently bundled
with the plugin).   Aaron, please correct anything that I didn't get
right ... I think what you've done is really cool.

I'd like to see if the newer Pluto includes some more dynamic update
capabilities (as I've heard that it does) but I haven't had a chance to
look yet.

So, back to your question ... yes it's possible but IMO, we really don't
have a complete solution for console plugability yet.

Joe

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
I do not know if this should affect the export classification of G, but we
will still need to ascertain this.  If it does, we could provide the CA
functionality with parameters and key sizes etc that will not impose any
restrictions on export classification.  We can provide a configuration file
that will let the users configure these parameters easily.
modules\geronimo-util and some classes in J2SE are enough to piece together
most functions required by a CA.

Ideas, suggestions and comments will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Vamsi

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.