Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2003/02/07 07:16:05 UTC

Re: Configuring Cocoon to run under Apache/Tomcat virtual host?

Hussayn

Thanks for the reply  - I need to do a number of things:

1. Protect the whole site so it cannot be accessed at all
(except through single login screen) while under development.

2. Create an alias (virtual host) - as seen on many Cocoon
sites - that is easier to remember & work with

3.  I am using form-based authentification for restricted access
*within* the site itself (certain users having access to certain
parts)

For 1 and 2 above, I think its most effective to use Apache/Tomcat
services - and for 3 use Cocoon.

If you could supply any code snippets that you think are relevant, I
would appreciate it.

Derek

>>> dabbous@saxess.com 06/02/2003 04:58:06 >>>
i am running an apache/tomcat/cocoon combination with authentication
driven by tomcat (just setting the correct security-constraints within
the web.xml and adding the right REALM in tomcat/server.xml ...

i did never touch the apache server itself for authentification
issues...

And i'm using form based authentification.

regards, hussayn

Derek Hohls wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for help with configuring an Apache/Tomcat
> setup, trying to support a password-protected Cocoon
> site that must be accessed by a virtual host name.
>
> The UNIX support has tried to set it up (see below),
> but trying to access the site results in an error 302,
> which just repeats over and over in the log file:
> 111.11.1.1 - - [06/Feb/2003:14:11:00 -0200] "GET /cocoon/myapp/index

> HTTP/1.1" 302 0
> and of course the site is not accessible.
>
> Any help with this is *much* appreciated; maybe
> a small help file can be added to the Wiki.
>
> Thanks
> Derek
>
> *******
>
> The configuration entry looks as follows:
>
> <VirtualHost 111.11.11.2>
>
> ServerAdmin joe@mydomain <ma...@mydomain>
> ServerName myapp.csir.co.za:80
> DocumentRoot /usr/local/tomcat/webapps
>
> <Directory /usr/local/tomcat/webapps>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "myappis a restricted area !"
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/users
> Require valid-user
> </Directory>
>
> RewriteEngine   on
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)      /cocoon/appdir [PT]
> WebAppConnection appdirConnection warp server.host.com:8008
> WebAppDeploy cocoon appdirConnection /cocoon/
>
> </VirtualHost>

> *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is believed to be
clean.

> "The CSIR exercises no editorial control over E-mail messages and/or
> attachments thereto/links referred to therein originating in the
> organisation and the views in this message/attachments thereto are
> therefore not necessarily those of the CSIR and/or its employees.
> The sender of this e-mail is, moreover, in terms of the CSIR's
Conditions

--
Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@leverageweb.com>.
I've mentioned this once before on the list I think, but I have a simple
action
that checks container based roles.  I can send you more information this
weekend
from home if you're interested.

Geoff