Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2009/08/19 10:45:14 UTC

[users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Hi,

I want to check 2 things here regarding 'require' keyword.

I have this directive:

<Location /svn/ABC/XYZ>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath /jupiter/export/ABC/XYZ/
AuthBasicProvider ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ldap://....
<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
Require valid-user
</LimitExcept>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please enter your credentials"
</Location>

Now if I want to restrict a directoy under XYZ: /svn/ABC/XYZ/123 and give access to specific ldap users, should I proceed this way:

create a new directive:
<Location /svn/ABC/XYZ/123>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath /jupiter/export/ABC/XYZ/123
AuthBasicProvider ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ldap://....
<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
Require valid-user  <--- change here to Require followed by the ldap username. Repeat this for all users
</LimitExcept>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please enter your credentials"
</Location>

Let me know if this is true.

Also, this requires a graceful restart so I need to know whether having an external file can replace the require keyword and the restart.

thank you

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Eric Covener<co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any htaccess or locationmatch possibly getting in the way?

htaccess wouldn't get in the way...

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
Any htaccess or locationmatch possibly getting in the way?

Can you eliminate the merging of the two sections, by creating some
test directory outside of the first prefix and see if it still
misbehaves?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM, John P.
Dodge<do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com> wrote:

> When using "valid-user" You need:
>
>  AuthLDAPAuthorative off

Not in the last 6 releases, and the symptom there is auth failure not
short-circuting authentication.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>.
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Tom Evans wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 15:23 +0000, Melanie Pfefer wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The config file looks like
>>
>> <Location /svn/XYZ/ABC/>
>> DAV svn
>> SVNParentPath ...
>> Options FollowSymLinks
>> AuthBasicProvider ldap
>> AuthLDAPUrl ...
>> <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
>> Require valid-user
>> </LimitExcept>
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthName "Please enter your credentials"
>> </Location>
>>
>> I am wondering why I am not asked to authenticate on the browser.
>>
>> thanks
>
> Wouldn't your browser be issuing GET requests? Check your access log.
> Your conf says to not require authentication for GET requests.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

When using "valid-user" You need:

  AuthLDAPAuthorative off

"Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi

The config file looks like

<Location /svn/XYZ/ABC/>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath ...
Options FollowSymLinks
AuthBasicProvider ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ...

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
thanks.
In what cases Require valid-user does not ask for an authentication?

This is my case here.

thanks again

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Melanie
Pfefer<me...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just to note these 2 conf:
>
> with this config, I directly get Forbidden 403
>
> <Location /svn/XYZ/ABC/123>
> DAV svn
> SVNParentPath /jupiter/svnlinks/svn/XYZ/ABC/123/
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AuthBasicProvider ldap
> AuthLDAPUrl ldap://.....
> <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
> Require user user1
> Require user user2
> </LimitExcept>
> </Location>
>

> With this config (without LimitExcept), I am prompted for a password then get Forbidden 403
>
> <Location /svn/XYZ/ABC/123>
> DAV svn
> SVNParentPath /jupiter/svnlinks/svn/XYZ/ABC/123/
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AuthBasicProvider ldap
> AuthLDAPUrl ldap://.....
> Require user user1
> Require user user2
> </Location>
>

> Nothing shows in log except:
>
> Could not fetch resource information.  [403, #0]
> No such file or directory: The URI does not contain the name of a repository.  [403, #190001]
> Could not fetch resource information.  [403, #0]
> Invalid argument: Requests for a collection must have a trailing slash on the URI.  [301, #0]

These appear to be subversion, not the normal auth directives.

You mention LimitExcept coming into play, but you didn't show the
request method in use.  See the access log, but if it's working as
expected I'd forget about it.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi

I meant Eric's suggestion.

But, I sent the email too fast. In fact, I am not prompted for authentication when I create a new and seperate location even though the Require user was put for that new location.

In fact I just noticed that I have also:

<Location /svn/ABC/>
with the same ldap settings (require valid-user)

Appreciate your help.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Melanie,

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
Pfefer<me...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Do you think this is caused Location directive used for a location and a sublocation?
>
> I tested on a fresh apache. The <directory> directive works as expected (i.e. only user1, user2 and user3 can access bbb/) (But still I am prompted for password even if I do not access bbb/):

You still get prompted under aaa/ because "valid-user" means any user
who has authenticated is authorized -- it does not skip the
authentication phase.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Do you think this is caused Location directive used for a location and a sublocation?

I tested on a fresh apache. The <directory> directive works as expected (i.e. only user1, user2 and user3 can access bbb/) (But still I am prompted for password even if I do not access bbb/):

<Directory /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/aaa>
Require valid-user
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/aaa/bbb>
Require user user1 user2
</Directory>

thanks

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Melanie Pfefer wrote:

> Require user user1
> Require user user2

Melanie,
I believe you may be caught by the fact that the two lines above
actually express /two/ requirements, cumulatively, which cannot be both
met at the same time.

Try this :
Require user user1 user2

OR

Require user user1
Require user user2
Satisfy any

Re: [users@httpd] 'require' keyword

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,

<Location /svn/XYZ/ABC>
DAV svn
SVNParentPath /jupiter/svnlinks/svn/XYZ/ABC/
Options FollowSymLinks
AuthBasicProvider ldap
AuthLDAPUrl ldap://.....
<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
Require valid-user
</LimitExcept>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please enter your credentials"
AuthLDAPBindDN .....
AuthLDAPBindPassword ......
AuthZLDAPAuthoritative off
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
[...]

[error] [client xxxxxx] access to /svn/XYZ/ABC/123/ failed, reason: user 'user1' does not meet 'require'ments for user/valid-user to be allowed access

I also tried to get rid of <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>

AuthLDAPUrl ldap://.....
Require user user1
Require user user2
AuthType Basic

But I always got Forbiden

What is weird is that I got only one entry in the error log despite several trials.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
let me rephrase my question

I have

<Location .../abc/>
Require valid-user
</Location>

<location  abc/xyz>
Require user user1 user2
</Location>

Do you know why I am getting Forbidden when user1 logs in to access xyz?

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
any idea why I am getting this error (although xxx is in Require list):

access to /svn/ABC/XYZ/ failed, reason: user 'xxx' does not meet 'require'ments for user/valid-user to be allowed access

thanks

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.