Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Filip Defoort <fi...@cirquedigital.com> on 2003/09/24 21:05:04 UTC

merlin tutorial build problem - no goal avalon:meta

Hi,

Finally got around to trying out merlin. Downloaded the 3.0 binaries from
http://www.apache.org/~mcconnel/dist/avalon/merlin.
Set the environment variable and added to path; merlin -version seems to
run fine.

On to the tutorials: typed 'maven' in the tutorial directory (using
maven b10);
starts to download a bunch of things and then complains about
'no goal [avalon:meta]'..

I vaguely remember someone posting something about this, but cannot seem
to find the post back...

Anybody any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
- Filip

Re: merlin tutorial build problem - no goal avalon:meta

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Filip Defoort wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Finally got around to trying out merlin. Downloaded the 3.0 binaries from
> http://www.apache.org/~mcconnel/dist/avalon/merlin.
> Set the environment variable and added to path; merlin -version seems to
> run fine.
>
> On to the tutorials: typed 'maven' in the tutorial directory (using
> maven b10);
> starts to download a bunch of things and then complains about
> 'no goal [avalon:meta]'..
>
> I vaguely remember someone posting something about this, but cannot seem
> to find the post back...
>
> Anybody any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Yep - by guess is that your attempting to build a concrete artifact from
an abstract concept ;-)

The tutorials directory is just a directory of tutorials - nothing
buildable in and of itself.  If you drop down into any of the 18 other
turorial projects containing a project.xml - should should get a more
concrete result - start of with "hello" and take at the on-line tutorial
docs.  If you want to be recorded in the merlin halls of fame - note
down any and all obsticles - even the itty bitty little ones that are
perhaps annoying but none the less agrivating - get past them (if they
exist), have a god time, enjoy the documentation, and post the a frank
assement back to the list.

Good, bad, or ugly - feedback is so important - mundane or otherwise. If
we can ehance and improve the material it means that between 60 and 120
people behind you will not experience the same problem and that means
that the 430 new users in October are getting home runs every time.  Now
... isn't that what open-souce is all about?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org