Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jay Potharaju <js...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/21 06:40:37 UTC

Setting up solr on production server

Hi,
I 'm looking for some tips or guidelines to installing solr on the
production server. I am currently using jetty in my dev environment.
Is it recommended to use tomcat on the production server?  Are there are
major advantages of using one over another.

Thanks

RE: Setting up solr on production server

Posted by Suresh Soundararajan <su...@aspiresys.com>.
You can go ahead with Tomcat by deploying the solr war in it. It is highly scalable.

Thanks,
SureshKumar.S

I 'm looking for some tips or guidelines to installing solr on the
production server. I am currently using jetty in my dev environment.
Is it recommended to use tomcat on the production server?  Are there are
major advantages of using one over another.

Thanks
[Aspire Systems]

This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: Setting up solr on production server

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/20/2014 10:40 PM, Jay Potharaju wrote:
> I 'm looking for some tips or guidelines to installing solr on the
> production server. I am currently using jetty in my dev environment.
> Is it recommended to use tomcat on the production server?  Are there are
> major advantages of using one over another.

The recommendation is to use the jetty (version 8) that comes with Solr.
 It has had a number of unnecessary components removed, and its config
has had a few things tweaked, but otherwise it is unchanged from what
you get if you download the same version from www.eclipse.org.

Jetty is not a toy servlet container.  It is a battle-tested
enterprise-ready system.  It is also the only servlet container that
gets officially tested with Solr.  I have been using Solr under jetty
for nearly four years.

If you don't want to mess with creating your own startup scripts, you
could use a packaged jetty made for (or provided by) your operating
system, but the configuration will probably need tweaking.  At the very
least you may need to increase maxThreads.

There's only one good reason I can think of to use something like
Tomcat.  That is when you already know another servlet container
*really* well, and know how to tune it for varying application requirements.

Thanks,
Shawn