Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/08/13 03:14:43 UTC

ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

*** THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***

SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major update.
SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical and
heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk email).

This is a release candidate, and NOT the general availability release (yet.)
We think it's pretty rock solid, however. ;)

Highlights of the release
- -------------------------

- - Apache preforking algorithm adopted; number of spamd child processes is now
  scaled, according to demand.  This provides better VM behaviour when not
  under peak load.

- - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage modules. SQL
  storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File. NDBM_File support
  has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

- - detect legitimate SMTP AUTH submission, to avoid false positives on
  Dynablock-style rules.

- - new plugins: DomainKeys (off by default), MIMEHeader: a new plugin to perform
  tests against header in internal MIME structure, ReplaceTags: plugin by Felix
  Bauer to support fuzzy text matching, WhiteListSubject: plugin added to
  support user whitelists by Subject header.

- - Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
  service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.

- - DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.

- - Net::DNS bug: high load caused answer packets to be mixed up and delivered as
  answers to the wrong request, causing false positives.  worked around.

- - DNSBL lookups and other DNS operations are now more efficient, by using a
  custom single-socket event-based model instead of Net::DNS.

Downloading
- -----------

Pick it up from:

  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.bz2
  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.zip

md5sum:

  c41126e515eacc5480d6d44498d5b99d  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.bz2
  196a22f1a9d27792d8388fbc6f1b522f  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
  1763521a992ebd45c46ca1dcab586474  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.zip

sha1sum:

  17145041222d607d1591eb5cffdff80fdd55cd6c  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.bz2
  904c9b67498ec456c674545c15d0c4f89950a9da  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
  f6d5d50abc70a4cedde3bc50715848aba1c3a4e4  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-rc1.zip

The release files also have a .asc accompanying them.  The file serves
as an external GPG signature for the given release file.  The signing
key is available via the wwwkeys.pgp.net key server, as well as
http://spamassassin.apache.org/released/GPG-SIGNING-KEY

The key information is:

pub  1024D/265FA05B 2003-06-09 SpamAssassin Signing Key <re...@spamassassin.org>
     Key fingerprint = 26C9 00A4 6DD4 0CD5 AD24  F6D7 DEE0 1987 265F A05B

Important installation notes
- ----------------------------

- - see the INSTALL and UPGRADE files in the distribution.

Summary of major changes since 3.0.x
- ------------------------------------

- - Apache preforking algorithm adopted; number of spamd child processes is now
  scaled, according to demand.  This provides better VM behaviour when not
  under peak load.

- - Inclusion of sa-update script which will allow for updates of rules and
  scores in between code releases.

- - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage modules. SQL
  storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File. NDBM_File support
  has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

- - detect legitimate SMTP AUTH submission, to avoid false positives on
  Dynablock-style rules.

- - new Advance Fee Fraud (419 scam) rules.

- - removed use of the Storable module, due to several reported hangs on SMP
  Linux machines.

- - Converted several rule/engine components into Plugins such as:
  AccessDB, AWL, Pyzor, Razor2, DCC, Bayes AutoLearn Determination, etc.

- - new plugins: DomainKeys (off by default), MIMEHeader: a new plugin to perform
  tests against header in internal MIME structure, ReplaceTags: plugin by Felix
  Bauer to support fuzzy text matching, WhiteListSubject: plugin added to
  support user whitelists by Subject header.

- - TextCat language guesser moved to a plugin.  (This means "ok_languages"
  is no longer part of the core engine by default.)

- - Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
  service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.

- - DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.

- - Net::DNS bug: high load caused answer packets to be mixed up and delivered as
  answers to the wrong request, causing false positives.  worked around.

- - DNSBL lookups and other DNS operations are now more efficient, by using a
  custom single-socket event-based model instead of Net::DNS.

- - add support for accreditation services, including Habeas v2.

- - better URI parsing -- many evasion tricks now caught.

- - URIBL lookups are prioritized based on the location in the message
  the URI was found.

- - mass-check now supports reusing realtime DNSBL hit results, and sample-based
  Bayes autolearning emulation, to reduce complexity.

- - sa-learn, spamassassin and mass-check now have optional progress bars.

- - modify header ordering for DomainKeys compatibility, by placing markup
  headers at the top of the message instead at the bottom of the list.

- - spamd/spamc now support remote Bayes training, and reporting spam.

- - spamc now supports reading its flags from a configuration file using the -F
  switch, contributed by John Madden.

- - added SPF-based whitelisting.

- - Polish rules contributed by Radoslaw Stachowiak.

- - many rule changes and additions.

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
Hallo und Guten Abend The,

Heute (am 13.08.2005 - 22:19 Uhr)
   schriebst Du:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 06:14:43PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
>>
>> *** THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***
>>

> So far this BSD Box running MailScanner and milter-spamc is not seeing
> any of the problems reported earlier.

I`ve updated tonight. No problems here.  (with Debian Sarge)

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
 Jim Knuth

Virus free. Checked by NOD32 Version 1.1193 Update 12.08.2005

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.
> [...]
>
> - - URIBL lookups are prioritized based on the location in the message
>   the URI was found.
>
> - - mass-check now supports reusing realtime DNSBL hit results, and sample-based
>   Bayes autolearning emulation, to reduce complexity.
>
> - - sa-learn, spamassassin and mass-check now have optional progress bars.
>
> - - modify header ordering for DomainKeys compatibility, by placing markup
>   headers at the top of the message instead at the bottom of the list.
>
> - - spamd/spamc now support remote Bayes training, and reporting spam.
>
> - - spamc now supports reading its flags from a configuration file using the -F
>   switch, contributed by John Madden.
>
> - - added SPF-based whitelisting.
>
> - - Polish rules contributed by Radoslaw Stachowiak.
>
> - - many rule changes and additions.

So far this BSD Box running MailScanner and milter-spamc is not seeing

Member - Liberal International
This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Better to serve in Heaven that to Rule in Hell.

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
>From a direct mail answer to him:
=======8<--------

  ramprasad@netcore.co.in
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<ra...@netcore.co.in>:
    host nssa.netcore.co.in [202.162.240.37]: 554 <jd...@earthlink.net>:
    Sender address rejected: Access denied

=======8<--------
Scroom - not interested in discussing it with him further. If he
feels Earthlink.net is worthy of blacklisting then he's a fugghead
unworthy of consideration.

{^_^}
Posted by Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:07:14PM +0530, Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> When I build the rpm from the spec file ( on fedora core 3 ) the
> spamassassin-tools rpm is not created. Was it not a part of SA.

The tools RPM was deprecated.  There was very little in there that wasn't
development related, which is better taken out of SVN or the tarball,
so ...

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Derive the Big Bang Theory from F=ma."    - Michelle about her Physics class

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
When I build the rpm from the spec file ( on fedora core 3 ) the
spamassassin-tools rpm is not created. Was it not a part of SA.

Thanks
Ram

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 02:20:16PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

Justin from the next release of 3.1X, can you document  some compile flags?

Also, is anyone using a perl 5.8.8per yet?

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.

Justin Mason wrote:

> *** THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***
>
> SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major update.
> SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical and
> heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk email).
>
> This is a release candidate, and NOT the general availability release (yet.)
> We think it's pretty rock solid, however. ;)

Hi,

I'm seeing this in my log files from time to time

Aug 16 17:07:13 spa001 spamassassin[29154]: Can't locate LMAP/CID2SPF.pm
in @INC
  (@INC contains: ../lib /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2
/usr/local/lib/perl
5/site_perl/5.8.2/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2
/BSDPAN /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2) at
/usr/loca
l/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/Mail/SPF/Query.pm line 1749, <GEN910> line 1091.

I can't find an LMAP or a CID2SPF on CPAN and all my Mail::SPF stuff is
up to date.

FreeBSD 4.9, Perl 5.8.2 and 3.1.0-rc1 (of course).

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rick

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.

Posted by Bruno Delbono <Br...@mail.ac>.
Justin Mason wrote:

> *** THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***

Booya!

SpamAssassin version 3.1.0-rc1
   running on Perl version 5.8.7

SunOS lucifer 5.10 Generic_118822-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250

I had over 70k spams and around 6k hams. This was all in Berkeley DB
before and I had been meaning to change to a sql db. So, I installed
MySQL 4.1.12-log and innodb.

+----------+-----------+
spam_count | ham_count
+----------+-----------+
   67786    |    2538   |
+----------+-----------+

And this is fast!!! It took over 3 days to get all this spam/ham into
berkeley DB. This took less than 1.5 hour!

-Bruno

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by David Gibbs <da...@midrange.com>.
Justin Mason wrote:
> SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major update.
> SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical and
> heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk email).

Don't know if this is significant ...

When I ran perl Makefile.PL, I got the following messages:

checking module dependencies and their versions...
Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin
Makefile written by ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.05

Should I be concerned about the Net::Ident::_export_hooks message?

The perl version on my RedHat 8 system is:
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=linux, osvers=2.4.21-1.1931.2.382.entsmp,
archname=i386-linux-thread-multi
    uname='linux stripples.devel.redhat.com 2.4.21-1.1931.2.382.entsmp
#1 smp wed aug 6 17:18:52 edt 2003 i686 i686 i386 gnulinux '
    config_args='-des -Doptimize=-O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
-Dmyhostname=localhost -Dperladmin=root@localhost -Dcc=gcc -Dcf_by=Red
Hat, Inc. -Dinstallprefix=/usr -Dprefix=/usr -Darchname=i386-linux
-Dvendorprefix=/usr -Dsiteprefix=/usr
-Dotherlibdirs=/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 -Duseshrplib -Dusethreads
-Duseithreads -Duselargefiles -Dd_dosuid -Dd_semctl_semun -Di_db
-Ui_ndbm -Di_gdbm -Di_shadow -Di_syslog -Dman3ext=3pm -Duseperlio
-Dinstallusrbinperl -Ubincompat5005 -Uversiononly -Dpager=/usr/bin/less
-isr'
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS
-DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm',
    optimize='-O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686',
    cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING
-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/gdbm'
    ccversion='', gccversion='3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)',
gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=4, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
    libs=-lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lutil
    perllibs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lutil
    libc=/lib/libc-2.3.2.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
    gnulibc_version='2.3.2'
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-rdynamic
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE'
    cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

  Compile-time options: DEBUGGING MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS
USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Locally applied patches:
        MAINT18379
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Aug 13 2003 11:47:58
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
Michael Parker wrote:

> Hmmm....maybe some of the above should be captured in the documentation,
>
>patches welcome.

Nevermind, this is what I just added to UPGRADE, hopefully that make
things clearer:

+- As of 3.1.0, in addition to the generic BayesSQL support (via
+  Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL) usable by multiple database
+  drivers there is now specific support for MySQL 4.1+ and
+  PostgreSQL.  This support is based on non-standard features present
+  in both database servers that allow for various performance boosts.
+
+  If you were using the previous BayesSQL support with MySQL, and
+  already have MySQL 4.1+ installed you can begin using the new module
+  immediately by replacing the bayes_store_module line in your
+  configuration with:  Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::MySQL
+
+  We do however recommend that you switch your MySQL tables over to
+  InnoDB for better data integrity and multi user support.  You can
+  most often do this via a simple ALTER TABLE command, refer to the
+  MySQL documentation for more information.
+
+  If you were previously using PostgreSQL for your bayes database then
+  we STRONGLY recommend switching to the PostgreSQL specific backend:
+  Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::PgSQL
+  To switch to this backend you should first run sa-learn --backup to
+  make a backup of your existing data and then drop and recreate the
+  database following the instructions in sql/README.bayes.  Then you
+  can restore the database with sa-learn --restore.  If you have
+  multiple users then you will have to run --backup and --restore for
+  each user to fully restore the database.

Michael

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
Hallo und Guten Abend email,

Heute (am 23.08.2005 - 21:47 Uhr)
   schriebst Du:

> bump.  can anyone answer at least the questions about dcc and razor?

you mean the problems with the zombies?

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
 Jim Knuth
 jk@jkart.de
 ICQ #277289867
 PGP: 54C9 1A46 D3B2 95B6 454D 74FA AC73 773E 1F78 066F
----------
Zufalls-Zitat
----------
Nichts ist wirklich tragisch, selbst wenn dir eine Träne
über die Wange läuft, kitzelt es.
----------
Der Text hat nichts mit dem Empfänger der Mail zu tun
----------
Virus free. Checked by NOD32 Version 1.1200 Build 6020  23.08.2005

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> > Might also be nice to see some pointers in the docs about how to
reenable
> > the
> > DCC and Razor plugins for those of us who will continue to use those
tools.

Look in init.pre or v310.pre for "loadplugin" calls to functions to perform
these actions.  By default the loadplugin lines will be commented out or
ifdefed out or something like that.

I believe all that is required is to uncomment the relevent lines and do the
usual SA restart.

        Loren

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
I just changed my init.pre to include:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2

and kept the pre 3.1.0 settings in the local.cf.  It's working fine except
for some Razor _alarm_ messages once in a while...

At 12:51 PM Tuesday, 8/23/2005, Stuart Johnston wrote -=>

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: ANNOUNCE: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 release candidate available!

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.
> SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc1 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major update.

Very exciting!

> - - Apache preforking algorithm adopted; number of spamd child processes is
> now
>   scaled, according to demand.  This provides better VM behaviour when not
>   under peak load.

I presume this is activated by default.

> - - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage
> modules. SQL
>   storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File. NDBM_File
> support
>   has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

What's the difference between the MySQL support that already existed in prior
versions?  Is there anything those of us who already have our bayes data in
MySQL should do differently as of 3.1.0?

Thanks for a great product!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs