Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2003/01/16 22:59:09 UTC

[PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Reorging the Jakarta PMC apparently has become an annual event.  This
year will be no different.  I've had lengthy talks with the Apache
Board, and this has caused me to revisit a number of assumptions.

Looking at http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/, it is clear that the
ASF concept of a Project Management Committee permits a significantly
larger number of PMC members per project than I, at least, had ever
presumed.

Given the success that Jakarta has had to date, I don't want to propose
any rapid, irreversable, or disruptive changes.  But the goal should be
clear: the PMC should consist of *all* the people who are actively and
consistently monitoring the code.

So for the first step, I'd like to nominate the following individuals
who have contributed multiple times to the Jakarta newsletter and/or
recently served as a release manager of a Jakarta subproject:

   [  ]  Nicola Ken Barozzi
   [  ]  Stephen Colebourne
   [  ]  Martin Cooper
   [  ]  Henri Gomez
   [  ]  John Keyes
   [  ]  Larry Isaacs
   [  ]  Otis Gospodnetic
   [  ]  Thomas Mahler
   [  ]  Remy Maucherat
   [  ]  Glenn Nielsen
   [  ]  Andrew C Oliver
   [  ]  Rob Oxspring
   [  ]  Martin Poeschl
   [  ]  Scott Sanders
   [  ]  David Sean Taylor
   [  ]  Mladen Turk
   [  ]  James Turner
   [  ]  Henri Yandell

Future steps will include introduction of a concept of an emeritus PMC
member, reinstating prior PMC members who are still active, and more
nominations (particularly those that chose to contribute to the
newsletter, and/or act as release manager, hint, hint).

Longer term, the plan is to move the subprojects that chose to remain in
Jakarta towards becoming a single community - in particular release
votes will become a responsibility of the PMC.  That does not mean that
all PMC members will vote on all releases, but that it will be from this
pool of members that release votes will be cast.  Clearly there will
need to be a number waves of additions like the one above to the PMC
before we get to this point.

Meanwhile, my plan is to see to it that those subprojects that desire to
become ASF projects will get the full cooperation and support of this PMC.

Now for some fine print:

* nominees may chose to decline without giving any reason

* only current PMC member's votes are binding

* once the vote completes, PMC membership is not effective until 48
hours after a board member acknowledges receipt of these votes.

Let the voting begin!

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  My vote is +1 on all.

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> Just curious - Greg's board meeting summary didn't mention this, so I'm
> wondering what the status is.

The board needs take no action... unless they object within 72 hours of
the notification, the following people are now part of the Jakarta PMC:

         Nicola Ken Barozzi
         Robert Burrel Donkin
         Stephen Colebourne
         Martin Cooper
         Henri Gomez
         John Keyes
         Larry Isaacs
         Otis Gospodnetic
         Thomas Mahler
         Remy Maucherat
         Glenn Nielsen
         Andrew C Oliver
         Rob Oxspring
         Martin Poeschl
         Scott Sanders
         David Sean Taylor
         Glen Stampoultzis
         Mladen Turk
         James Turner
         Henri Yandell

I do not expect any issues, so people on this list should feel free to
subscribe to the pmc mailing list (I'll moderate through the requests),
and update http://jakarta.apache.org/site/whoweare.html appropriately.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I propose to nominate Glen Stampoultzis
>>

>> On 16 Jan 2003, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Also want ask you to also nominate Robert Burrel Donkin.
>>

> +1 to both.

+1

Conor

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> So for the first step, I'd like to nominate the following
> individuals
>
>    [  ]  Nicola Ken Barozzi
>    [  ]  Stephen Colebourne
>    [  ]  Martin Cooper
>    [  ]  Henri Gomez
>    [  ]  John Keyes
>    [  ]  Larry Isaacs
>    [  ]  Otis Gospodnetic
>    [  ]  Thomas Mahler
>    [  ]  Remy Maucherat
>    [  ]  Glenn Nielsen
>    [  ]  Andrew C Oliver
>    [  ]  Rob Oxspring
>    [  ]  Martin Poeschl
>    [  ]  Scott Sanders
>    [  ]  David Sean Taylor
>    [  ]  Mladen Turk
>    [  ]  James Turner
>    [  ]  Henri Yandell

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> I propose to nominate Glen Stampoultzis

On 16 Jan 2003, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:

> Also want ask you to also nominate Robert Burrel Donkin.

+1 to all of them.

Stefan

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for all.

+1 for  Glen Stampoultzis ( cut&pasted last name :-) and  Robert Burrel
Donkin.

Costin

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> P.S.  My vote is +1 on all.

+1 for all.

Conor

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
+1 for all (although not binding).

Also want ask you to also nominate Robert Burrel Donkin.
He is current release manager for commons-beanutils and is preparing the
betwixt (first) release now.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I propose to nominate Glen Stampoultzis who is the current release manager
for the Jakarta POI project.

I also propose Glen shorten his last name to no more than 6 letters so
that I can spell it
instead of copy and pasting it.

-Andy

Re: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Are the current PMC members automatically re-upped?
And it sounds like there won't have to be a massive
all-committer election like last year, which I'm sure
will be a relief to Dirk.  ;)

Sounds like Jakarta PMC membership will become more
like Apache membership; once you're in, you can stay
in as long as you remain active.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

RE: [PMC VOTE] PMC Nominations

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Sam wrote:

> Meanwhile, my plan is to see to it that those subprojects that desire to
> become ASF projects will get the full cooperation and support of this PMC.

I should take this opportunity to let everyone know that James' commiters have voted to do this.
We see it not as leaving Jakarta, but growing up. We're pretty much autonomous in our day-to-day workings, we have a mature code-base and a self-sustaining (if compact) community, and although we keep our eyes on the rest of Jakarta the only part we're closely tied to is Avalon, and they're moving too.

As far as I'm concerned there is no "goodbye" in all of this, its just a normalisation of the status-quo. Jakarta contains many fertile brains which James would be mad to ignore, James will continue to look to Jakarta as a role model and a key resource, and I hope as individuals, we can continue to be involved in the life and progress of the project.

d.