Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Julian Ray <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/04 18:08:38 UTC

Sandbox/Tomahawk Component Request

I'm not sure if this is the place for suggesting components to add to the
sandbox but anyway....

How about adding a spinner control which can take Integers and/or decimals
with configurable step sizes and which would increment/decrement on either
the server or the client. We currently use one cobbled together from the
Myfaces book and it works great but it would be nice to have one which is
integrated and standardized into the MyFaces framework. :)

Re: Sandbox/Tomahawk Component Request

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/06, Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice to have the WIKI on promoting Sandbox to Tomahawk. Is there a
> WIKI on how best to create a new sandbox component from scratch and
> what steps should be taken? (not just migrating it from jsf-comp for
> example). I looked at the Contributing_Patches, and looked at the
> focus JIRA issue, but not all the files were there for the JIRA (like
> the HTML files were not there).

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Contributing_Patches is currently the
best source.

However, both of these pages are new, and they need improving.
Hopefully the next person to use it as a guide for submitting a new
component will also go in and update the page as we find missing
items.

> Once I get time (maybe after June), I may try to help out by writing
> some of the new components people have been asking for and adding them
> to the sandbox (or jsf-comp if that is the way to go).

No, I think the sandbox is the way to go, provided there are no
licensing issues.

The pros for jsf-comp is that anyone can get commit access, which
makes it an easy place to develop a first draft of a component and
quickly make changes.  As you noted in a personal email to me on a
different topic, the downside of jsf-comp is that it's a pain to deal
with releasing and other maintenance issues.

Sandbox reverses the pros and cons.

Re: Sandbox/Tomahawk Component Request

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
Nice to have the WIKI on promoting Sandbox to Tomahawk. Is there a
WIKI on how best to create a new sandbox component from scratch and
what steps should be taken? (not just migrating it from jsf-comp for
example). I looked at the Contributing_Patches, and looked at the
focus JIRA issue, but not all the files were there for the JIRA (like
the HTML files were not there).

Once I get time (maybe after June), I may try to help out by writing
some of the new components people have been asking for and adding them
to the sandbox (or jsf-comp if that is the way to go).

-Andrew

Posted by Julian Ray <ju...@yahoo.com>.
Ok some I'm deep into the sandbox adding a couple of controls but have
question

One of the tags is based on a simple div but calls out to some external JS.
The tag implementation is based on tomahawk's div tag (HtmlTag) but I get
errors thrown from myfaces stating that it can't find the tag renderer. The
code is in the jar (I checked), the tag family and type are set as per the
div and fieldset controls, the sandbox faces config has been updated
(control and renderer sections) -- no spelling errors!!, the tld works
(tested and verified) but I must be missing some crucial step. Any clues?

Thanks

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.