Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by ashishb888 <as...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/28 12:36:43 UTC

Ignite on-heap & off-heap caches

I have below question:

Do both on-heap & off-heap caches use memory from data regions (by setting
initial & max
of DataRegionConfiguration)?

Does Ignite use heap provided to the application (-Xms & -Xmx) for cache
storage?

Re: Ignite on-heap & off-heap caches

Posted by ashishb888 <as...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Andrei.

So for on-heap cache I need set Xms and -Xmx option to allocate the memory.

Re: Ignite on-heap & off-heap caches

Posted by Andrei Aleksandrov <ae...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

No, heap and off-heap memory are different features.

*Heap *memory uses -Xms and -Xmx option to allocate the memory used for
different operations and generally can't be used for data storing (in
case of you don't set on-heap caching). Java GC will work with current
memory.

*Off-heap* memory uses *initial *and *max *properties for region size
that should be set in the data region configuration. This memory will be
used for data storage. Java GC will not work with current memory.

You can read more here:

https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memory-architecture

BR,
Andrei