Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2003/11/14 14:58:34 UTC

Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl ContextSourceFactory.java

cziegeler@apache.org wrote:

>cziegeler    2003/11/14 05:02:09
>
>  Modified:    .        status.xml
>               src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl
>                        ContextSourceFactory.java
>  Log:
>     <action dev="CZ" type="fix" fixes-bug="24093">
>       Disable accessing files outside the context via the context protocol.
>     </action>

<snip/>

>           // Remove the protocol and the first '/'
>  -        int pos = location.indexOf(":/");
>  -        String path = location.substring(pos+1);
>  +        final int pos = location.indexOf(":/");
>  +        final String path = location.substring(pos+1);
>  +
>  +        // fix for #24093, we don't give access to files outside the context:
>  +        if ( path.indexOf("../") != -1 ) {
>  +            throw new MalformedURLException("Invalid path ('../' is not allowed) : " + path);
>  +        }

Isn't this way of checking too strict? We can have perfectly valid cases
where one concatenates a base "context://foo/bar/" base URI with a
"../baz" relative path.

Sylvain

Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl ContextSourceFactory.java

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>>          // Remove the protocol and the first '/'
>>> -        int pos = location.indexOf(":/");
>>> -        String path = location.substring(pos+1);
>>> +        final int pos = location.indexOf(":/");
>>> +        final String path = location.substring(pos+1);
>>> +
>>> +        // fix for #24093, we don't give access to files
>>>

>>outside the context:
>>

>>> +        if ( path.indexOf("../") != -1 ) {
>>> +            throw new MalformedURLException("Invalid path
>>>

>>('../' is not allowed) : " + path);
>>

>>> +        }
>>>

>>Isn't this way of checking too strict? We can have perfectly valid cases
>>where one concatenates a base "context://foo/bar/" base URI with a
>>"../baz" relative path.
>>

>Hmmm, who does such nice things?
>Ok, but you're right - don't we have a URL mangler somewhere that does
>this for us?
>
>Carsten

IIRC NetUtils.normalize() will remove any .. from a URL. It splits on /,
so it can handle a context: protocol, but how it deals with .. at the
beginning of a URL I can't work out immediately. If it doesn't, it
shouldn't be hard to patch it to work appropriately.

Don't know if this is relevent.

Regards, Upayavira

RE: cvs commit:cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/implContextSourceFactory.java

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:

> > Hmmm, who does such nice things?
>
> The one who does such nice things should use the method
> SourceResolver.resolve(String location, String base, Map parameters)
> instead of concatenating the two strings.
>
> > Ok, but you're right - don't we have a URL mangler somewhere that does
> > this for us?
>
> The SourceResolver does all that.

The problem is a little bit different, we don't absolutize the urls
ourselfes, this is done by the servlet context. So we pass a
"hallo/../../this.xml" to the context.
And we want to check before we pass this path to the context, if
a file outside the context is specified, like in the case above.
Can we use the absolutize() method of NetUtils therefore?

Carsten

RE: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl ContextSourceFactory.java

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.