Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2008/04/15 00:25:42 UTC

RE: tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar not found in tomcat 6.0though they were in use in web-application developed on tomcat-5.x

> From: harsh112 [mailto:harsh.112.vt@gmail.com]
> Subject: tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar not found
> in tomcat 6.0though they were in use in web-application
> developed on tomcat-5.x
>
> Now, this application requires upgrade to tomcat-6.0.16 which
> doesn't have tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar under
> it's lib directory though other jars from server/lib (5.x) are
> found under lib (6.x) directory.

The classes from tomcat-util.jar are now in tomcat-coyote.jar, at least
all the ones I spot checked.

There is no catalina-util-xml.jar in any 5.5 download that I can find,
so I have no idea where you might have gotten that one from.

> 2. By using tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar from
> tomcat-5.x release with tomcat-6.x, the application works fine.

Perhaps, but have you tested every possible execution path?  I wouldn't
count on it.

> Is this advisable to just copy the jars from a previous release
> (5.x) to some current release?

Definitely not.  Lots of things were restructured between 5.5 and 6.0,
so you're really asking for trouble by running blindly ahead.  You need
to examine the 6.0 APIs and make sure your realm is still compatible
with them:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/index.html

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: harsh112 [mailto:harsh.112.vt@gmail.com]
> Subject: RE: tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar not
> found in tomcat6.0though they were in use in web-application
> developed on tomcat-5.x
>
> Though I could not find
> tomcat-5.5.17/server/lib/catalina-util-xml.jar from
> which org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XMLAction and XMLMapper
> classes are being referred by one of my class.

Those classes appear to have been part of Tomcat 4.0, last released
about 5.5 years ago.  Might be time to think about modernization using
the current XML mechanisms that are part of a standard JRE.

Posted by harsh112 <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chuck, This was a useful reply for me.
Though I could not find tomcat-5.5.17/server/lib/catalina-util-xml.jar from
which org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XMLAction and XMLMapper classes are being
referred by one of my class.
By looking at the API docs of 6.0 release, I couldn't find package
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.
Should I look at some other package/jar for these classes?

Thanks and Regards,
Harsh.

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/tomcat-util.jar-and-catalina-util-xml.jar-not-found-in-tomcat-6.0-though-they-were-in-use-in-web-application-developed-on-tomcat-5.x-tp16691076p16691726.html