Posted to users@royale.apache.org by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/26 09:31:08 UTC

Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Hi guys,

Finally you have my full attention :-) I am spending the remainder of this
week (at least) to evaluate using Apache Royale for our company's apps. I'm
evaluating wether it is a good course to convert our existing flex apps
(which currently target Mac OSX, Windows and iOS using Adobe AIR).

I have a couple of early questions after installing VSCode and Josh's
AS/MXML extension.

Our apps are pretty complex, using things like:

* Modules (one application uses ModuleLoader quite heavily)
* Accessing user's hard disk to manipulate files
* AMFPHP for communication with PHP backend
* NativeProcess API to convert images using a compiled version of
ImageMagick (so accessing .exe files and mac executable scripts)
* NativeExtensions

Can this all be used with ApacheRoyale?

Thanks for the information, I'm going to experiment with the examples and
try to convert some parts of apps to see where this is going.

Best regards,

Fréderic

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I wrote some classes which emulate the File classes using node.js.

I can try to make them available in.a few weeks.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
I think i miss lead that discussion to another path. I'm sorry about that.
:) If someone will have more thoughts about that - maybe let's change
subject. :)

Thanks,
Piotr

czw., 27 wrz 2018 o 15:20 Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by radu birsan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frederic,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <om...@gmail.com>.
I have started building desktop apps with Electron.  Electron is based on
Node.js, so theoretically Royale can be made to export to Electron.
Visual Studio Code, Slack are a couple of examples of desktop apps built
with Electron.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Harvey Johnson <hj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Evaluating Apache Royale for the long term

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Fréderic,

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Frederic,
great to see you trying Royale at last :)

El mié., 26 sept. 2018 a las 11:31, Fréderic Cox (<co...@gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Hi guys,
>
> Finally you have my full attention :-) I am spending the remainder of this
> week (at least) to evaluate using Apache Royale for our company's apps. I'm
> evaluating wether it is a good course to convert our existing flex apps
> (which currently target Mac OSX, Windows and iOS using Adobe AIR).

I think Windows/Mac is pretty easy. For Adobe AIR, clearly is a option, but
I think another, I already didn't test, is Apache Cordova, since there's
already projects in examples folder. I still want to try that scenario. So
I think all of that is solved.

> I have a couple of early questions after installing VSCode and Josh's
> AS/MXML extension.
>
> Our apps are pretty complex, using things like:
>
> * Modules (one application uses ModuleLoader quite heavily)

I'll need modules as well, and we have now modules ready to use in Apache
Royale, although I remember that wasn't able to unload (Alex could correct
me if I'm wrong). Although I think is just a matter to give that feature
more love :). I think what we have is sufficient to start.

> * Accessing user's hard disk to manipulate files

That's AIR/Cordova...so I think that's solved in that part.

> * AMFPHP for communication with PHP backend

I think we already have people using AMFPHP, if not correct me.
I'm thinking as well that we could have a simple example working in our
website if we could host PHP support...it could be great so we can create
blog example about AMF.

> * NativeProcess API to convert images using a compiled version of
> ImageMagick (so accessing .exe files and mac executable scripts)

* NativeExtensions

this two are as well Adobe AIR not Royale

> Can this all be used with ApacheRoyale?

I never tried AIR with Royale, but I assume that is possible since AIR is
Flash and HTML engine from the start and Royale supports both, maybe others
could give some word of experience on this.

> Thanks for the information, I'm going to experiment with the examples and
> try to convert some parts of apps to see where this is going.

ok, just one word. My vision with people joining is that although Apache
Royale is very usable nowadays, we are still a 0.9.x version and although
is near completion the fact is that still is not 100% complete, I'm sure
you'll find always some black points, but hopefully you'll can get help
from us, but as well we expect from you to try to solve things and send us
Pull Request (PRs) to fix things. From my experience, latest months, I
think is unrealistic to start with Apache Royale and expect all is done for
you to use, I think that hardly could be the situation, so having in mind
that you'll need help, and will need to fix things yourself, is the right
state of mind from my point of view from something coming to Royale.

Hope you enjoy the journey and wish good luck with Apache Royale, and
expect see you here many times! :)

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira