Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ilyal levin <ni...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/27 02:03:42 UTC

Create executable jar for tomact

Hi

I should mention that i'm new to tomcat and the servlet idea.
i'm using tomcat v6 and eclipse 3.7.
I installed a tomcat plugin to eclipse, set the necessary configuration and
wrote a simple java program for the tomcat to run, and it works fine - all
i'm doing to activate tomcat is the start button in my eclipse.
The question is how can i activate this servlet without eclipse:
Should i create executable jar and run it on tomcat? or can i create
executable jar that activates my tomcat automatically?

Thanks for the help
Ilyal

Re: Create executable jar for tomact

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/9/27 ilyal levin <ni...@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I should mention that i'm new to tomcat and the servlet idea.
> i'm using tomcat v6 and eclipse 3.7.

> I installed a tomcat plugin to eclipse,

Which one and why?

There is "Eclipse for Java EE developers" that includes support for
Tomcat (and other web servers) thanks to Web Tools project.

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project.php?id=webtools

> The question is how can i activate this servlet without eclipse:
> Should i create executable jar and run it on tomcat? or can i create
> executable jar that activates my tomcat automatically?

Read the Servlet specification (see links on the Specifications page
in Tomcat Wiki).

You would have to pack your application as war file and put it into
webapps folder of Tomcat.  Tomcat will notice it and "autodeploy"
(unpack) automatically.

It is possible to deploy a web application without packing, but that
would be more complicated.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko