Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/01 04:28:22 UTC

More Questions regarding Felix...

Hi All,

I was able to find an example using webstart with Felix but I have some simple questions.

1. Can Felix unbundle a jar during install? I want to unbundle my native jars that may contain dlls or SOs into a app directory.
2. If #1 is yes where does the jar get unbundled and can I control where it goes?
3. Does the Felix config setup a desktop shortcut?
4. Does Felix have a splash screen capability?
5. After the initial install I never want the user to see web start again is that possible? I want to launch my app using Felix after the initial install.

Thanks. I am happy so far by what I see.

-Tony

Re: More Questions regarding Felix...

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 2/28/10 10:28 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was able to find an example using webstart with Felix but I have some simple questions.
>
> 1. Can Felix unbundle a jar during install? I want to unbundle my native jars that may contain dlls or SOs into a app directory.

No, that's not how it works. The native libraries are packaged inside of
the JAR file and the OSGi framework automatically takes care of making
them available to the classes that need them.

> 2. If #1 is yes where does the jar get unbundled and can I control where it goes?

In theory, you do not need to worry about this.

> 3. Does the Felix config setup a desktop shortcut?

No.

> 4. Does Felix have a splash screen capability?

No. The OSGi framework is a lower level modularity layer, it is not an
application framework. I am sure someone has created a splash screen
bundle and might be able to give pointers. However, there is no standard
application framework for OSGi...

> 5. After the initial install I never want the user to see web start again is that possible? I want to launch my app using Felix after the initial install.

As far as Felix is concerned, yes, this is possible. Not sure if Web
Start gives you any constraints.

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 2/28/10 10:41 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Okay some more questions.
>
> I noticed in the web start example the developer referenced a launcher app for his app as a second example. It made me wonder if the Felix properties file has a way to specify the jar with the static main method or does it check all the jars (bundles) for it and launch that one?

No, OSGi doesn't have any notion of a static main method... In general,
you just deploy your bundles and start them all, their bundle activator
of your "main" bundle should do what it needs to do to start the
application.

> Also the developer included the felix.jar and another felix jar and I am wondering if it is needed? The other jar is:
> org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.0.0.jar

This is a bundle repository module, which provides access to a
downloadable set of bundles. You likely don't need this, but you could
end up using it to deploy your application bundles. See here:

     http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-osgi-bundle-repository.html

-> richard

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Okay some more questions.