Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Patrick Sherrill <pa...@coconet.com> on 2006/11/29 00:38:03 UTC

Inordinate Dictionary Attavks

Using sendmail/amavis-new/SA with Dual MTAs. Unfortunately, we still have a
few relay domains unable to reasonably provide a userlist for us and we have
really been getting slammed over the last few days.  I realize this may be
slightly off topic, but I could use some direction in how to turn them away
at the gate, or at least the smtp connection before I have to process them
and manage the queue.

I have reasonable clue, but wasn't deeply involved in the set-up. This lack
of initial involvement has negatively impacted my level of clue (CTO left
for love).
Any pointers or scripts to help identify and reject the bad guys would be
appreciated.

Pat...
patrick@coconet.com
CocoNet Corporation
SW Florida's First ISP

Re: Inordinate Dictionary Attavks

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Patrick Sherrill wrote:
>> Using sendmail/amavis-new/SA with Dual MTAs. Unfortunately, we still
>> have a few relay domains unable to reasonably provide a userlist for
>> us and we have really been getting slammed over the last few days.  I
>> realize this may be slightly off topic, but I could use some direction
>> in how to turn them away at the gate, or at least the smtp connection
>> before I have to process them and manage the queue.
>>
>> I have reasonable clue, but wasn't deeply involved in the set-up. This
>> lack of initial involvement has negatively impacted my level of clue
>> (CTO left for love).
>> Any pointers or scripts to help identify and reject the bad guys would
>> be appreciated.
>
> Quickest solution is probably to send some cash to Anthony Howe for his
> Sendmail milter milter-ahead so that you can do call aheads for those
> domains.
>
> If you want to save the cash, you can write your own stripped down
> version in less than 60 lines of code.

Mimedefang, another sendmail milter, is free ... and has similar capability.

Re: Inordinate Dictionary Attavks

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Patrick Sherrill wrote:
> Using sendmail/amavis-new/SA with Dual MTAs. Unfortunately, we still
> have a few relay domains unable to reasonably provide a userlist for us
> and we have really been getting slammed over the last few days.  I
> realize this may be slightly off topic, but I could use some direction
> in how to turn them away at the gate, or at least the smtp connection
> before I have to process them and manage the queue.
>
> I have reasonable clue, but wasn't deeply involved in the set-up. This
> lack of initial involvement has negatively impacted my level of clue
> (CTO left for love).
> Any pointers or scripts to help identify and reject the bad guys would
> be appreciated.

Quickest solution is probably to send some cash to Anthony Howe for his
Sendmail milter milter-ahead so that you can do call aheads for those
domains.

If you want to save the cash, you can write your own stripped down
version in less than 60 lines of code.

Daryl