Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Tom Pierce <tc...@cloudera.com> on 2012/03/05 20:40:14 UTC

ongoing jenkins failures

Hi folks,

I spent a little time looking into our Jenkins failures.  I am not
very familiar with Jenkins, so this is probably a little remedial -
pointers for other/better things to look at are appreciated!

We've let this go for a long time:
* Last stable build (#1218), 3 mo 3 days ago

Before that, it looks like we were having intermittent failures
(failures at 1196, 1208, 1217 and then 1219-).

Our "workspace" disk usage spiked sometime around build 1370 - going
up over 800MB.  Prior to this spike, workspace disk usage was
flat-lined at or very near 0 - going back to build 1218.  Since the
spike, it looks like we've been oscillating between 800+0MB workspace
usage.  This is likely due to failures occurring at different points
(before or after scratch space is used?).

Between the 1218/1219 Mahout Jenkins reports, we got a report about
Mahout-Examples (#37) failing, with a shell trace, including this
evidence of a misconfiguration on the test box:

[trunk] $ /home/hudson/tools/maven/apache-maven-2.2.1/bin/mvn
-DskipTests=true -U clean install
Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
 We cannot execute /home/hudson/tools/java/latest1.6/bin/java
Build step 'Invoke top-level Maven targets' marked build as failure

The last-good and first-bad builds are too old to have a full Jenkins
report, but I think these are the intervening commits (between 1218
and 1219):

Those are pretty small changes except for the last - which added a new
LDA implementation (MAHOUT-897).

Looking through a full batch of Jenkins console output (30MB!) did not
let me pin down the reason Jenkins deems the build unstable (and
certainly nothing that indicates the above changes are to blame).  I
see lots of tests run (a few skipped, but no errors/failures), lots of
checkstyle/findbugs problems, but nothing that screams "failure here".
 It does seem that the cause is related to the checkstyle/pmd/findbugs
results, due to this line toward the end:

Build step 'Report Violations' changed build result to UNSTABLE

Does anyone know how to trace this back to a specific condition/fault?

-tom

Re: ongoing jenkins failures

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Right. I'm used to Lucene which keeps patches for years before
committing them. Mahout's ruthless attitude to old patches makes this
more reasonable.

git diff -w and blame -w ignore whitespace. I make patches with diff -w.

Lance

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: ongoing jenkins failures

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tom pierce <tc...@apache.org>.
Ok - consensus seems to be +1 with some preference for waiting until
feature freeze or at least not overlapping with another sweeping set of
changes (which makes a ton of sense).

I'll plan to do the mass patches in a few weeks then - and in the
meantime I'll see if I can make our "mvn checkstyle:checkstyle" (and
other rules) give the same set of warnings that Jenkins does.

If I'm going to bother with this housekeeping exercise, I hope we can
keep this up (otherwise I would be happy to simply crank our thresholds
up/checks down now and call it done).  I'm not sure we'd have a
volunteer to do this chore for every release...

-tom

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1 on doing it now.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tom pierce <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Tom Pierce <tc...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
About Jenkins:
Will it be good to create separate maven profiles executed using
separate Jenkins jobs for
a) normal build without findbugs/checkstyle/pmd etc
b) quality build with findbugs/checkstyle/pmd

So, the normal build will not fail due to formatting/findbugs etc issues
and quality build will keep a check on formatting etc. This will also
make the normal build very fast.
I can take up this task it if people agree.

About commits over formatting/static/final minor issues etc:
Since you are planning to do it for next few weeks, so, it might help in
reducing chaos if you pick up (some number of)packages/week or so and
inform others in advance( some info like package names and end time of
code change ).

Paritosh

Posted by tom pierce <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.