Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Falko Braeutigam <fa...@softwarebuero.de> on 2000/06/05 20:11:24 UTC

Infozone

Hi Neeme and all,

from time to time the ozoneXML/Infozone/Prowler thing was mentioned here in the
Cocoon list. Now I would like to announce the official release of the Infozone
site at http://infozone-group.org.

The Infozone project is an open initiative for the creation of an open source,
Java and XML based framework of components that allows programmers to create
complex Enterprise Information Portal applications.

Check it out. All help is welcome ;)

Falko
Falko Braeutigam                         mailto:falko@softwarebuero.de
softwarebuero m&b (SMB)                    http://www.softwarebuero.de

Re: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ross Burton wrote:

> "...and also that ozone has begun a preliminary discussion with Stefano
> Mazzocchi which could lead Infozone under the Apache XML umbrella."

Seems like I made xmlhack again :)

> Is this official?

No, nothing official even if discussion is continuing privately.

> Or is anything mentioned in passing a possible news story on xmlhack.com.

It seems to be this case, yes... in fact, I was kind of surprised to see
my RT quoted there. Well, don't get me wrong: very positively surprised.

I think the xmlhack folks are doing a great job in that site (my
personal jetspeed RSS page would have slashdot, java.sun.com and xmlhack
as source of information :)

Gee, we used to have jeopardy categories... now we have news web
sites... sheesh, internet changed the world indeed!

> Hmmm...
>
> "Ross Burton, XML master and Java guru to the Gods, is looking for a job."
>
> Let's see if that goes anywhere.  :-)

ROTFL :-)

Well, maybe it won't make xmlhack of /. but I'm sure there are guys
around here that would love to sponsor you to continue Cocoon
development, isn't it right? :-)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Infozone

Posted by Eric van der Vlist <vd...@dyomedea.com>.
Ross,

Ross Burton wrote:

> "...and also that ozone has begun a preliminary discussion with Stefano
> Mazzocchi which could lead Infozone under the Apache XML umbrella."
>
> Is this official?  Or is anything mentioned in passing a possible news story
> on xmlhack.com.

75% of the story is about Infozone and especially Prowler which, IMHO,
deserves attention from the XML developers community.

Additionally, I have found that possible move to "the Apache XML
umbrella" was interesting to mention as significant of the attraction of
some big open source groups over smaller independent projects.

> Hmmm...
>
> "Ross Burton, XML master and Java guru to the Gods, is looking for a job."
>
> Let's see if that goes anywhere.  :-)

I would suggest having a look at our job section :=)
http://xmlhack.com/jobs.php

Best regards,

Eric

Re: Infozone

Re: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Wong Kok Wai wrote:

> Why is the license for projects under java.apache.org and xml.apache.org different? The
> main difference is the following clause:
>
> 3. Every modification must be notified to the Java Apache Project
>                        and redistribution of the modified code without prior notification
>
>                        is not permitted in any form.
>
> which is missing from the license of xml.apache.org and Jakarta (I believe). Any chance
> of using the same license for all ASF projects?

This clause was introduced by myself to allow some virality of the
license (I myself, like many of you, thought GPL was the only way to
prevent others from stealing my work and make money on it).

But this is non-standard and will be removed step by step when
java.apache will be deprecated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Infozone

Re: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> I Cc: this to the Infozone list.
>
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Neeme and all,
> > >
> > > from time to time the ozoneXML/Infozone/Prowler thing was mentioned here in the
> > > Cocoon list. Now I would like to announce the official release of the Infozone
> > > site at http://infozone-group.org.
> > >
> > > The Infozone project is an open initiative for the creation of an open source,
> > > Java and XML based framework of components that allows programmers to create
> > > complex Enterprise Information Portal applications.
> > >
> > > Check it out. All help is welcome ;)
> >
> > Falko,
> >
> > while I love that something like this happened, I'm a little concerned
> > about the license you guys developped. It's a hybrid between GPL and
> > BSD, contains both the BSD adversiting clause and GPL virality.
> >
> > The ASF board of members recently ruled that no GPL/LGPL code can be
> > distributed with any of the Apache projects. Sure, we are allowed (and
> > suggested) to collaborate to other OSS communities that have different
> > licenses, but the users will have to download the other packages
> > themselves and connect the two.
> >
> > I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
> >
> > It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> > Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> > the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
> I know. Although I like simple BSD style licenses I explicitely decided to use
> (L)GPL. The combination of LGPL for API packages and GPL for core packages
> is meant to allow people to use Infozone without the need to put their code
> under any special license *and* forces developers, especially companies, to
> contribute their enhancements. Many companies are interested in the
> Infozone thing. The most of them will just use it but the more they become
> familiar with it the more they are able to modify/enhance it to meet their
> needs. I don't see a reason why we shouldn't force them to contribute their
> code. Is there any?

No, but there are better ways to enforce this, IMO.

Companies that are interested in OSS don't do this because it's cheaper
than buying software. In fact, many times it's not. But because the
development process is more scalable then anything they can afford to
do. New features they add are debugged and maintained by others.

RMS wrote invented the GPL in a time when companies didn't know this and
there was a good chance of companies selling bits as their own, thus
"stealing" them from the original authors.

But this doesn't include ISP that _use_ modified GPL software without
giving anything back. Why is this acceptable? The GPL would hurt Apache
on the ISP/ASP market.

Instead of forcing companies to release their code, we force them to
give back credits to who deserves it.

This is _far_ more effective.

Sure, a company could take Cocoon and sell it, add stuff and not giving
them away.... but they have to maintain that code forever, while
donating it back would lower their expenses and benefit themselves too:
the service business is far more profitable than selling packaged
software.

IBM makes money on services and hardware, not software. Software is a
commodity for them. Same for Sun.... but you won't see Oracle or
Microsoft in the open source business for a long time, and for sure,
they'll do nothing with GNU.

The ASF would _love_ if Microsoft took Apache and created IIS 6.0 over
it. We would simply love it. Why? because they would have to admit they
can't do any better. They will simply state "Apache rules". They could
create win2k guis and all a bunch of DCOM stuff on top and frontpage
extentions and sell that. And they might even get a market for this, but
it's good.

Everybody else benefits because Apache wold have 90% of the market and
there will always be one and only one HTTP protocol.

The same would be said for XML and Java: when you want something to
become standard, you have to make it open sourced. That's the rule. But
you have to allow _everyone_ to be able to do whatever they want to it.

What happens is that it's very likely they will contribute back because
if they don't:

1) the community will ignore them.
2) their expenses will grow.
3) they have to sell something that is freely available.
4) they expenses will exponentially grow to keep up with the OSS
scalability.

So, if I had to choose between GPL and BSD, I'd choose BSD because, no
matter what, you have your name on your code and if the sell your bits,
they are advertising you. But also because companies will contribute
back because it's more politically resonable to do, because they can
always back off if they don't like it anymore (which makes managers more
confortable with their decisions).

GPL ignores companies, considers them evil and tries to protect
individuals from them.

BSD treats everybody equal, both companies and individuals and protects
credits as the currency of open development.

As a side note, the most effective (per market share) open source
software available is not GPL-ed (Apache, Sendmail, Bind, Perl, PHP).

> > Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
> > felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
> > efforts with us or the FSF.
>
> The are to many GNU projects. They all share the same license but that's all
> about it.

Right.

> Just personal curiosity: do you think there is a chance to get Infozone under
> the Apache umbrella?

Technologically? sure. Legally? no, the ASF ruled out submission of
(l)GPL-ed code to avoid possible GPL infection.

> I was assuming that there is no such chance...

Why?

In fact, I recently received a proposal for submission of a lightweight
memory-only XML search engine that is blazingly fast (6ms/query on
250000 1k files) that I'll propose for adoption to the PMC.

I was the one that asked James Tauber to donate FOP to us.

And I was thinking to propose the adoption of JetSpeed in xml.apache.org
since the ASF decided to slowly shut-down java.apache.org (because of
copyright issues on the "java" trademark)

It would make _perfect_ sense to have an XML database/content management
system under the Apache XML umbrella. I would love this and would
trigger much innovation since it could speed up integration with other
apache projects by orders of magnitude.

For example, integrating Tomcat and Slide (the webdav servlet) with such
a thing would be totally cool, also be able to present the content using
Cocoon or having JetSpeed use it as repository instead of relational
databases. Totally cool.

It is unfortunate we didn't express this sooner... but maybe it's not
too late to change your minds on the licensing issues :-)

Besides, the Apache brand would protect you no matter what.

If you'd like to explore possibilities further, you just have to tell
me.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Infozone

Posted by Falko Braeutigam <fa...@softwarebuero.de>.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> >
> > Hi Neeme and all,
> >
> > from time to time the ozoneXML/Infozone/Prowler thing was mentioned here in the
> > Cocoon list. Now I would like to announce the official release of the Infozone
> > site at http://infozone-group.org.
> >
> > The Infozone project is an open initiative for the creation of an open source,
> > Java and XML based framework of components that allows programmers to create
> > complex Enterprise Information Portal applications.
> >
> > Check it out. All help is welcome ;)
>
> Falko,
>
> while I love that something like this happened, I'm a little concerned
> about the license you guys developped. It's a hybrid between GPL and
> BSD, contains both the BSD adversiting clause and GPL virality.
>
> The ASF board of members recently ruled that no GPL/LGPL code can be
> distributed with any of the Apache projects. Sure, we are allowed (and
> suggested) to collaborate to other OSS communities that have different
> licenses, but the users will have to download the other packages
> themselves and connect the two.
>
> I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
>
> It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
I know. Although I like simple BSD style licenses I explicitely decided to use
(L)GPL. The combination of LGPL for API packages and GPL for core packages
is meant to allow people to use Infozone without the need to put their code
under any special license *and* forces developers, especially companies, to
contribute their enhancements. Many companies are interested in the
Infozone thing. The most of them will just use it but the more they become
familiar with it the more they are able to modify/enhance it to meet their
needs. I don't see a reason why we shouldn't force them to contribute their
code. Is there any?

> Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
> felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
> efforts with us or the FSF.

The are to many GNU projects. They all share the same license but that's all
about it.

Just personal curiosity: do you think there is a chance to get Infozone under
the Apache umbrella? I was assuming that there is no such chance...

> Anyway, I'll take a look at your projects with great interests and hope
> that we can continue collaboration in the future.
Great, thanks!

Re: Infozone

Posted by burtonator <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Demo User wrote:
>
> Demo User???

:_)... that was me posting from JavaOne... for some reason they had
Netscape configured to ALWAYS post as "Demo User" and I didn't know it
was forced on me :)... funny though :)

<snip>
> > The other issue is the license.  We can't work with you in this
> > configuration... as Stefano pointed out.  Now there are three camps,
> > Jetspeed/Cocoon/Turbine, Proprietery solutions, and now Infozone :(
>
> I know, duplication in OSS is bad, expecially if not driven by different
> visions but only by licensing differences or "just happened that way".

I brought this up at the Open Source EJB BOF at JavaOne last night... 3
Open Source EJB projects?  Not a good idea :(

> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
> >
> > Honestly I would rather thing of it as Cocoon -> Jetspeed|Prowler.
> >
> > The interesting thing is that I am not sure how much Prowler applies...
> > in an OSS world.  Content syndication is very rare right now.... except
> > XMLTree.  Jetspeed has support for this in the Daemon package.  There is
> > a prototype plugin content subscription architecture in Jetspeed but I
> > don't see the need.  But then I am probably wrong as usual :)
>
> I honestly don't have a clue of what you're talking about...

Check out isyndicate.com.  They syndicate content from CNN, Reuters,
etc.  But they only do this for $$$.  It would work for Open Source but
only if there are more XML data syndicators that are "Open".  Open
Content will take a lot longer to happen than Open Source :(

> > > It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> > > Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> > > the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
> >
> > Yeah... a full blown app server has been pending for a while :)
>
> AAAHHHHH: second golden rule: _never_ mention "app servers" if Stefano
> is present. :)

app servers, app servers :)

<snip>

--
Kevin A Burton (e-mail: burton@apache.org, UIN: 73488596, ZKey:
burtonator)

Re: AW: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Matthew Langham wrote:

> > Just a rant... I have seen a lot of corporate OSS interest in creating
> > their own OSS projects/groups.  They get venture, want to do open source
> > and then have venture.org as their project umbrella.  IMO it is a VERY
> > bad idea.  We are already here, have a strong community, and have been
> > doing this for a while.  :)
>
> These companies normally don't last more than two rounds of financing
> anyway :-)
> >>>

> Hmm... while I agree on the subject of OSS that can be used in all markets
> (such as Linux, Cocoon etc.) - I am not sure I agree when it comes to a
> company that would provide OSS for specific industries.

No, please, don't get me wrong.

My comment was made around startup companies that to promote themselves
try to startup a new open source community around them. There are tons
of these coming up. And many of them are already failing or changing
their business models.

> Lets take eCommerce
> as an example. A week ago I read that some company is positioning its OSS
> solution against Intershop. I think this is a good idea and could be a
> success. I think that when you provide OSS for specific industries (and I
> can think of better ones than eCommerce) then the value of the services you
> provide around the software increases (because you also need knowledge of
> the industry). On the other hand the value of the software decreases
> (anyway). And more so as more of the underlying software is moved to
> Internet technologies such as XML.

Service is a highly profitable market while software is not anymore. M$
showed the world you have to play tricks (to say the least!) to keep it
profitable, while other companies are starting to sell other things like
services (IBM), hardware (Sun, Apple, VALinux) or warranties (Oracle).

The question is: is there room for packaged OSS software business?
probably to make a living, but nothing that could fuel the community
back.

And what happens if these "wrapping" companies start to loose profits?
they cut on new research, they stop pushing for projects, they stop
being nice to the community.

And the community stops being nice to them, creating lots of friction
and making managers feel unconfortable with this "uncontrollable open
source stuff". There is no steering wheel, even if you pay the checks of
the main developers (you can't stop them from working on it).

And GPL removes the ability to add proprietary value to the technology
since everything will be pushed back and no company will survive another
round of financing.

The new economy is crazy and companies like Helix make very little sense
to me but, at least, contribute to the advancement of the whole OSS
economy.

But totally different thing is providing services based on OSS software
with OSS-grown engineers. This is where the market is. If I'd create a
company, I would not package cocoon and sell it, but provide a
commercial frontend for cocoon-based development.

When I do consulting I do exactly that: the software is free, but bits
are useless without knowledge of the problems and solutions.

I foresee lots of problems for those "OSS wrapping" startups that
provide packages software. Not because of their inability to market it,
but because incredible friction will develop between the company and the
community... and 40-something-years-old experienced CTOs _hate_ when
20-something-years-old wizards tell them what's good and what's not. :)

Open source dynamics are complex and even more complex are the economy
dynamics that are built on top... but unfortunately, these are
prosperous times where venture capital is easy to get and easy to waste.

But times will change and only serious companies will survive.

While, magically enough, OSS will see a new explosion when unemployment
rates will grow, and OSS-recruiting based companies (like Collab.net)
will make the difference, removing revenue from big companies and
placing it back to talented individuals.

It's easy to plan a business model in prosper times with tons of venture
capital flowing in, but it's totally different to design a business
model that could stand up when those capitals stop flowing.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

AW: Infozone

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.

> Just a rant... I have seen a lot of corporate OSS interest in creating
> their own OSS projects/groups.  They get venture, want to do open source
> and then have venture.org as their project umbrella.  IMO it is a VERY
> bad idea.  We are already here, have a strong community, and have been
> doing this for a while.  :)

These companies normally don't last more than two rounds of financing
anyway :-)

Hmm... while I agree on the subject of OSS that can be used in all markets
(such as Linux, Cocoon etc.) - I am not sure I agree when it comes to a
company that would provide OSS for specific industries. Lets take eCommerce
as an example. A week ago I read that some company is positioning its OSS
solution against Intershop. I think this is a good idea and could be a
success. I think that when you provide OSS for specific industries (and I
can think of better ones than eCommerce) then the value of the services you
provide around the software increases (because you also need knowledge of
the industry). On the other hand the value of the software decreases
(anyway). And more so as more of the underlying software is moved to
Internet technologies such as XML.

Just my thoughts

Matthew

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

...this mail was scanned for viruses by mailserver...

Re: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Demo User???

Re: Infozone

Posted by Demo User <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
+1 for recognizing that EIPs are very important!  :)

-1 for the current implementation :(

For starters Jetspeed has been on the scene for a year already... 1.2 is
right around the corner.

I would rather the Ozone/Prowler team merge with the Jetspeed team.  We
are trying to do the same thing in certain ways.  This has already been
done with the pending iCalendar implementation, and PSML rework.

The other issue is the license.  We can't work with you in this
configuration... as Stefano pointed out.  Now there are three camps,
Jetspeed/Cocoon/Turbine, Proprietery solutions, and now Infozone :(

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip>
> I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.

Honestly I would rather thing of it as Cocoon -> Jetspeed|Prowler.

The interesting thing is that I am not sure how much Prowler applies...
in an OSS world.  Content syndication is very rare right now.... except
XMLTree.  Jetspeed has support for this in the Daemon package.  There is
a prototype plugin content subscription architecture in Jetspeed but I
don't see the need.  But then I am probably wrong as usual :)

> It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.

Yeah... a full blown app server has been pending for a while :)

> Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
> felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
> efforts with us or the FSF.

Just a rant... I have seen a lot of corporate OSS interest in creating
their own OSS projects/groups.  They get venture, want to do open source
and then have venture.org as their project umbrella.  IMO it is a VERY
bad idea.  We are already here, have a strong community, and have been
doing this for a while.  :)

Kevin

Re: Infozone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.