Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by m-woelm <ma...@m-woelm.de> on 2006/09/10 16:13:07 UTC

Question: Can not get access to object fields (Null Pointer Exception)

Hi,

I hope anybody could explain me why I get a Null Pointer Exception, if I
want to get access to field of an object. My method is similar to the
eshop-project of the book “Enjoying web dev with Tapestry”.

I tried to change the Listener-method onLogin as follows:

public void onLogin(IRequestCycle cycle) {

            try {

                  User user = Users.getKnownUsers().getUser(email,password);

                  getUser().copyFrom(user);

                  if (user.getState().equals("admin"))
cycle.activate("Admin_Konsole");

                  else cycle.activate("User_Konsole");

            } catch (AuthenticationException e) {

                  ValidationDelegate delegate = getDelegate();

                  delegate.setFormComponent(null);

                  delegate.record("Login failed", null);

            }

      }

Now I get an exception at point (user.getState().equals(“admin”)).

But why? user was set to the login-user two lines before? Why I can’t get
the field: private String state which I have set in User.class:

      private String state;

      public String getState() {

            return this.state;

      }