Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com> on 2007/08/10 17:57:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Cannot rotate error logs in Apache 2.2.4!

I have tried the rotatelogs directive, I have tried the cronolog.exe utility, I
have tried the mod_log_rotate module, all with the same negative result. I can
rotate the access logs, but I cannot rotate the error logs. Is there a solution,
or am I doomed to ever growing error logs?

Syntax of failed attempts:

ErrorLog "|L:/apache/bin/rotatelogs -l logs/error 86400"

ErrorLog "|L:/apache/bin/cronolog L:/Apache/logs/error.%Y%m%d.log"

LoadModule log_rotate_module modules/mod_log_rotate.so
RotateLogs On
RotateLogsLocalTime On
RotateInterval 86400
ErrorLog logs/error_log.%Y%m%d
--
Crash
Running: Windows 2000 Pro - Apache 2.2.4 - PHP 5.2.1 - PERL 5.8.8

Reply to group only. E-mail is blocked.

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot rotate error logs in Apache 2.2.4!

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
"Crash" Dummy wrote:
> I have tried the rotatelogs directive, I have tried the cronolog.exe utility, I
> have tried the mod_log_rotate module, all with the same negative result. I can
> rotate the access logs, but I cannot rotate the error logs. Is there a solution,
> or am I doomed to ever growing error logs?

Yes, it was bugged before 2.2.6 - but 2.2.6 in solving it introduces some
possible bugs depending on your mod_perl build, and with some third party
modules like mod_fcgid.

There will likely be a 2.2.6 binary by the end of this week, provided you
don't actually need mod_perl or mod_fcgid.  There's likely to be a brand
new binary after that (might be called 2.2.6 still, or not, with a new
apr library dependency) sometime in the next three weeks that rounds up
all of these bugs, takes them out to pasture and shoots them down.

Bill

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Cannot rotate error logs in Apache 2.2.4!

Posted by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com>.
I satisfy those conditions, but it still doesn't work. In fact, Apache won't
even start. Also, it has always worked with the CustomLog directive.

ErrorLog "|L:/apache/logs/cronolog.exe L:/Apache/logs/error.%Y%m%d.log"

The author doesn't say what version of Apache he is running.

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Cannot rotate error logs in Apache 2.2.4!

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
http://forums.devshed.com/showpost.php?p=760527&postcount=2

HTH.

--Jeff

Posted by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com>.

Posted by Charles Michener <mi...@yahoo.com>.
What is the syntax of the access log rotation that works?

"\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com> wrote: I have tried the rotatelogs directive, I have tried the cronolog.exe utility, I
have tried the mod_log_rotate module, all with the same negative result. I can
rotate the access logs, but I cannot rotate the error logs. Is there a solution,
or am I doomed to ever growing error logs?

Syntax of failed attempts:

ErrorLog "|L:/apache/bin/rotatelogs -l logs/error 86400"

ErrorLog "|L:/apache/bin/cronolog L:/Apache/logs/error.%Y%m%d.log"

LoadModule log_rotate_module modules/mod_log_rotate.so
RotateLogs On
RotateLogsLocalTime On
RotateInterval 86400
ErrorLog logs/error_log.%Y%m%d
--
Crash
Running: Windows 2000 Pro - Apache 2.2.4 - PHP 5.2.1 - PERL 5.8.8

Reply to group only. E-mail is blocked.

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.