Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Lajos <la...@galatea.com> on 2004/12/14 20:40:15 UTC

JavaWorld Article and Certification Claims

Hi y'all -

I'm engaged in a bit of argument on my article for JavaWorld on
Geronimo. I said that Geronimo will be (I should have said wants to be)
the first open source J2EE 1.4 certified application server. JBoss has
complained to JavaWorld, saying that they are already the first. In
fact, I don't consider JBoss open source like Geronimo. JBoss being open
source is like Solaris 10 being open source - it is two different
models. I think the distinction is not only important, it is vital. I
don't like the idea of major corporations being able to coopt the term
open source as a marketing ploy. It is dangerous for the open source
community and takes us back to the reason why open source got started in
the first place.

While I won't completely retract my statement in my article (I'll change
"will be" to "hopes to be"), I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else
agrees with my position or even sees the problem I'm pointing out.

Regards,

Lajos

--

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training

             Cocoon Developer's Handbook
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

                    _      _____
                   / \         /
                  /___\      /
                 /     \   /____

      http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL

Re: JavaWorld Article and Certification Claims

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Jboss is licensed under the LGPL, and the LGPL is an OSI certified
license[1] as well as a Free Software license[2].  So while the term
"open source" means different things to different people I'd claim
that Jboss is "open source" using a very common definition of the
term.

regards,
Toby

P.S. Does anyone else find this talk about corporations co-opting the
open source process to be ironic?  After all, the term "open source"
was invented to water down the idea of Free Software so it would be
more palatable to corporations.  And whether you prefer the LGPL or
the Apache License, it's a point of fact that the Apache License is
much more permissable than the LGPL is.  Let's say I'm a company and
I'd like to build a product around an open source application server.
Let's say that I'd prefer to take from the community but give nothing
back.  I'd be allowed to do that with an Apache-licensed project but
not an LGPL project, so which license protects the community better?

Note that I'm not advocating on behalf of either license, I think that
both are useful.  I'm just saying that the Apache license is much more
business-friendly than the LGPL (which is more business-friendly than
the GPL).

[1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Re: JavaWorld Article and Certification Claims

Posted by Mark McClellan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Lajos,

I'm totally unqualified to answer your question, but here goes....

I think the porblem is summed in your inital email.  "I don't consider
JBoss open source like Geronimo". Strickly your opinion. Make the
correction as requested and add a sidebar to the article that explains
the main differences between the lgpl and the apache license.

Mark

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Preston L. Bannister" <pr...@bannister.us>.
I think what you wanted to say was:

    When released, Geronimo will be the first J2EE-certified
    */unrestricted/* open source server.

The summary line is sufficiently accurate - as both JBoss and GPL try to
apply restrictions of various forms.  This I believe is more-or-less the
essence of the issue, and why the Apache License is preferable.

You can elaborate within the body of the article - preferably at the
very end to avoid confusing readers up front sometimes subtle issues.
You might want a short paragraph describing why the Apache License is
preferable for businesses to GPL, LGPL, or the JBoss license (and
trademarks).

As it stands in the article
<http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2004/jw-1213-geronimo.html>
your summary line *is* inaccurate :).

--
Preston L. Bannister
preston@bannister.us <ma...@bannister.us>

RE: JavaWorld Article and Certification Claims