Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Slaughter, Stan" <St...@TeleCheck.com> on 2005/12/13 22:29:27 UTC

To Screen *NOT* to Console

What do I need to do to set up an Appender to log to the screen not the
console?

The equivalent of out.print in a JSP file instead of System.out.print

I need to let the user know when an error occurs and logging error messages
to a console does not do it.  I'd think a common task would be to send
messages to the screen, yet I can't find a Screen Appender.  What am I
overlooking?

Does log4j-1.2.12 not support this?  Will I have to duplicate all my error
messages with an equivalent out.print statement?

Application Architect
Stan.Slaughter@TeleCheck.Com
Ext 6418

The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential,
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.

Re: To Screen *NOT* to Console

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/05, Slaughter, Stan <St...@telecheck.com> wrote:
> What do I need to do to set up an Appender to log to the screen not the
> console?
>
> The equivalent of out.print in a JSP file instead of System.out.print
>
> I need to let the user know when an error occurs and logging error messages
> to a console does not do it.  I'd think a common task would be to send
> messages to the screen, yet I can't find a Screen Appender.  What am I
> overlooking?
>
> Does log4j-1.2.12 not support this?  Will I have to duplicate all my error
> messages with an equivalent out.print statement?

What exactly do you mean by "the screen"?  Is there a resonable
definition that would even work most of the time?  What would it be
for a Swing desktop app?  What would it be for a web service?  What
would it be for a JSP (where would it write it)?
I don't see how there could be a ScreenAppender just because it would
be near impossible for it to do something logical most of the time.
--
James Stauffer