Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org> on 2004/03/17 16:37:23 UTC

Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK 2.0.4]

Hi to all,

Did some of you, JFC, Mladen, Guenter, Kurt, Norm could works on
a little HOWTO (text based will be suffisant) for jk2, explaining
how to set up jk2 in IIS and Apache 2 web-servers ?

It could be added to the release and will help remove tons of
questions from tomcat-users :)

Volunteers welcome (I can't work on it right now)

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - proposal

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

> How did users see documentation in tomcat-docs ?
after this simple setup you are at once able to browse the tomcat-docs through the connector; see Mladen's minimal wokers2.properties file...

Guenter.

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - proposal

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi Kurt,
>> hmm, since we have fixed recently the hooks it shouldnt matter anymore
>> where you load mod_jk2;

> D'oh!. ;-) Out of habbit I always do the LoadModule in the DSO section,
> but you're right it shouldn't matter.
in theory....
what really happens will tell us BugZilla after we have 2.0.4 out the door, smile...

but I believe it is always good if you load mod_jk2 as last module cause last=first in the chain, just take a look at /server-info and you see that the order is reversed.

Guenter.

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - proposal

Posted by Kurt Miller <tr...@apache.org>.
From: "Guenter Knauf" <ef...@gmx.net>
> Hi Kurt,
> > I like the idea of this and the text is good. I would think you would need
> > to cover how to install if the user is using a
> > non-default directory structure. I'm not sure if its common on Netware and
> > W32, but the *BSD's each use different locations for conf
> > and modules.
> right, that's missing; will add soon.
>
> > I'd like to see the mod_jk2.conf. At what location in httpd.conf should it
> > be included? You probably want to be specific about that.
> hmm, since we have fixed recently the hooks it shouldnt matter anymore where you load mod_jk2;

D'oh!. ;-) Out of habbit I always do the LoadModule in the DSO section, but.
you're right it shouldn't matter.

> here's the rest od my minimal config, and my main goal was that the host:port does only appear _once_ in the config:
> http://www.gknw.com/development/apache/docs/win32/mod_jk2/
> http://www.gknw.com/development/apache/docs/win32/mod_jk2/min_w2.properties
>
> another thing we should get around are the sometimes nasty defaults:
> if you specify f.e. myworkers2.prop as file, but have also a workers2.properties in the conf dir, then _both_ are used by mod_jk2,
this isnt a good behavior; but unfortunately I had no time yet to look at this closer...

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi Kurt,

Posted by Kurt Miller <tr...@apache.org>.
From: "Guenter Knauf" <ef...@gmx.net>
> Hi,
> Here are the HOWTOs I use for binary distributions:

> NetWare:
>
> This is a binary package of mod_jk2. If you have
> installed Apache2 to the default location /Apache2 then
> simply extract this archive directly to the root of
> your volume. Use the 'Include' directive to add
> mod_jk2.conf to your httpd.conf. Rename the
> workers2.properties.minimal to workers2.properties,
> then edit the file and change the host and port setting
> if necessary.
> On NW 6.0 the default Tomcat listens on 9009 while with
> NW 6.5 Tomcat listens on 9010.
> After restarting Apache2 you should be able to browse
> the Tomcat documentation with this link:
> http://your.domain.com/tomcat-docs/
> This docs also include mod_jk2.
>
> version  : 2.0.4
> license  : http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

> Win32:
>
> This is a binary package of mod_jk2. If you have
> installed Apache2 to the default location /Apache2 then
> simply extract this archive directly to the root of
> your volume. Use the 'Include' directive to add
> mod_jk2.conf to your httpd.conf. Rename the
> workers2.properties.minimal to workers2.properties,
> then edit the file and change the host and port setting
> if necessary.
> After restarting Apache2 you should be able to browse
> the Tomcat documentation with this link:
> http://your.domain.com/tomcat-docs/
> This docs also include mod_jk2.
>
> version  : 2.0.4
> license  : http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

> here follows the directory structure I use:
>
> ./apache2
>          /conf
>               /workers2.properties.minimal
>               /mod_jk2.conf
>          /modules
>                  /mod_jk2.dll|nlm|so
>          /ver-info
>                   /mod_jk2
>                           /README
>                           /CHANGES
>                           /STATUS
>                           /INSTALL
>

> comments?

I like the idea of this and the text is good. I would think you would need to cover how to install if the user is using a
non-default directory structure. I'm not sure if its common on Netware and W32, but the *BSD's each use different locations for conf
and modules.

I'd like to see the mod_jk2.conf. At what location in httpd.conf should it be included? You probably want to be specific about that.

Just a nitpick, but you may want to change 'volume' to 'drive' for win32.

-Kurt

Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - proposal

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK 2.0.4]

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net> wrote:
<<other content deleted>>
>I would like to see some
> feedback from those admins who have to install the connectors what they would
> prefer.

A quick start covering:
- What to download
- What to compile
- Compatible Apache versions
- Which folder to copy files into
- What entries does Apache expect
- What workers and MPM are and how we can configure them

> thanks, Guenter.

-- Sriram

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK 2.0.4]

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi all,
probably now I get the -1's back, but nevertheless I'll give it a try...!

> Did some of you, JFC, Mladen, Guenter, Kurt, Norm could works on
> a little HOWTO (text based will be suffisant) for jk2, explaining
> how to set up jk2 in IIS and Apache 2 web-servers ?

> It could be added to the release and will help remove tons of
> questions from tomcat-users :)

> Volunteers welcome (I can't work on it right now)
hmm, I think Norm has already offered that he's more than willing to improve the Apache2 docu;
and in addition he has already put together such an document in html for NetWare, and I modified it slighty for Win32 (I linked to recently).
But since we have to deal with a lot of terms which are almost not or insuffient explained, I think we should all here put the heads together, specially also those which have started with the initial mod_jk2 project, so that we can find proper descriptions of all those terms which also f.e. appear on the jkstatus pages.
While I digged last time through BugZilla, I also have read a bunch of cvs commit logs to understand why what was changed, changed then back and so on; and I got the strong feeling that even those who have commited the changes often only did what users requested, but didnt know for sure what's right and what's wrong behaviour.
What I have heard a lot is 'read the code', but that isnt allways the best answer, its useless to read the code and understand what's going on unless you know from a docu what's right and what's wrong behaviour; we all should know what the module _should_ do before we try to archive that.
I've forwarded a html document to Henri and Mladen which Norm has created, and we all are not able to answer the questions fully and decribe what the terms really mean. Norm will be online in about 1 hour (Australia), and I hope he agrees that we make his document here available....
It would be very great if all here familar with the connector stuff could clarify this, so that we have a good starting point for any further documentation. I believe that we in one day could put all info together if everyone reads this document with the terms in question, and posts what he thinks is the best description; and also I would like to get replies from all other non-commiters here if that what we put together is understandable at all.

something other we should perhaps also discuss is the format of the docu.
I think that it is most likely that someone who installs a web connector has also a web browser; and therefore I'm +1 for a html document; however everyone has certainly a text editor, and IIRC Henri and Mladen are +1 for plain text. Since it doesnt matter what we use, I would like to see some feedback from those admins who have to install the connectors what they would prefer.

thanks, Guenter.

Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK 2.0.4]

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

Of course :)

RE: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK 2.0.4]

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

 MT.