Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by JavaGuy84 <bb...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/08 20:17:56 UTC

Search on dynamic fields which contains spaces /special characters

Hi,

We have some dynamic fields getting indexed using SOLR. Some of the dynamic
fields contains spaces / special character (something like: short name, Full
Name etc...). Is there a way to search on these fields (which contains the
spaces etc..). Can someone let me know the filter I need to pass to do this
type of search?

I tried with short name:name1 --> this didnt work..

Thanks,
Barani

Re: Search on dynamic fields which contains spaces /special characters

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I do not believe the SOLR or LUCENE syntax allows this

At the lowest level, Solr and Lucene-Java both support any arbitrary
character you want in the field name -- it's just that sevearl features
use syntax that doesn't play nicely with characters like whitespace in
field names.

when using the Lucene query parser, you can backslash escape a whitespace
character, even in a field name...

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?debugQuery=true&explainOther=SOLR&q=foo\+bar_t%3Asolr

...however params like "fl" and "sort" don't support this type of
escaping, so you're really better off trying to use field names that don't
contain whitespace (or ",", or "|", or "}" any of the other meta
characters that are used by varoius features when looking at field names
in request paramaters)

-Hoss

Re: Search on dynamic fields which contains spaces /special characters

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Please repost as a separate thread..

From:
http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack

When starting a new discussion on a mailing list, please do not reply to
an existing message, instead start a fresh email.  Even if you change the
subject line of your email, other mail headers still track which thread
you replied to and your question is "hidden" in that thread and gets less
attention.   It makes following discussions in the mailing list archives
particularly difficult.
See Also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking

Posted by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.