Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reinhard Brandstaedter <Re...@jku.at> on 2006/11/02 09:53:07 UTC

Preventing local modified files from beeing comitted (svn:ignore)

Hi,

I've changed my CVS users to Subversion :-) but there is quite a few
things these users still want to do as they are used to it from CVS.

One thing is working with svn:ignore or CVSIGNORE.
Some of them were used to preventing changes on files being comitted to
the repository by adding those files to cvsignore. This also worked with
files that already were under version control.
So they try to add versioned files they don't want to be comitted to
svn:ignore (with their eclipse IDE SVN plugin) which doesn't work.

Is there a way to mark a file as local changes only so that this file's
changes will not be comitted?

Reinhard

Re: Preventing local modified files from beeing comitted (svn:ignore)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 2, 2006, at 03:53, Reinhard Brandstaedter wrote:

> I've changed my CVS users to Subversion :-) but there is quite a few
> things these users still want to do as they are used to it from CVS.
>
> One thing is working with svn:ignore or CVSIGNORE.
> Some of them were used to preventing changes on files being
> comitted to
> the repository by adding those files to cvsignore. This also worked
> with
> files that already were under version control.
> So they try to add versioned files they don't want to be comitted to
> svn:ignore (with their eclipse IDE SVN plugin) which doesn't work.
>
> Is there a way to mark a file as local changes only so that this
> file's
> changes will not be comitted?

I don't think so.

Perhaps this is applicable to your situation:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

AW: Preventing local modified files from beeing comitted(svn:ignore)

Posted by Felix Gilcher <gi...@exozet.com>.
Reinhard Brandstaedter <ma...@jku.at> schrieb am Donnerstag, 2. November 2006 10:53:

> Hi,
>
> I've changed my CVS users to Subversion :-) but there is quite a few
> things these users still want to do as they are used to it from CVS.
>
> One thing is working with svn:ignore or CVSIGNORE.
> Some of them were used to preventing changes on files being comitted
> to the repository by adding those files to cvsignore. This also
> worked with
> files that already were under version control.
> So they try to add versioned files they don't want to be comitted to
> svn:ignore (with their eclipse IDE SVN plugin) which doesn't work.
>
> Is there a way to mark a file as local changes only so that
> this file's
> changes will not be comitted?

no. The standard solution is to check in a template with a different filename and have your users copy it to the real filename which is not under version control and on the ignore list. You might want to provide a "post-checkout sript" to your users that makes this task easier.

> Reinhard

regards

felix

--