Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/24 21:29:40 UTC

Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.

Hello,

I've been getting the following error when trying to run a very simple
MapReduce job.
Map finishes without problem, but error occurs as soon as it enters
Reduce phase.

10/06/24 18:41:00 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id :
attempt_201006241812_0001_r_000000_0, Status : FAILED
Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.

I am running a 5 node cluster and I believe I have all my settings correct:

* ulimit -n 32768
* DNS/RDNS configured properly
* hdfs-site.xml : http://pastebin.com/xuZ17bPM
* mapred-site.xml : http://pastebin.com/JraVQZcW

The program is very simple - just counts a unique string in a log file.
See here: http://pastebin.com/5uRG3SFL

When I run, the job fails and I get the following output.
http://pastebin.com/AhW6StEb

However, runs fine when I do *not* use substring() on the value (see
map function in code above).

This runs fine and completes successfully:
            String str = val.toString();

This causes error and fails:
            String str = val.toString().substring(0,10);

Please let me know if you need any further information.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this problem.
Thanks

Re: Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.

Posted by Deepak Diwakar <dd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Krishna and Chen.

Yes problem was in /etc/hosts. In fact on  each node there was unique
identifier like necromancer/rocker etc.. which is the only difference in
/etc/hosts amongst the nodes. Once I put same identifier for all, it worked.

Thanks & regards
- Deepak Diwakar,

Posted by "C.V.Krishnakumar" <cv...@me.com>.
Hi Deepak,

Posted by "C.V.Krishnakumar" <cv...@me.com>.
Hi Deepak,

Posted by He Chen <ai...@gmail.com>.
Hey Deepak Diwakar

Try to keep the /etc/hosts file as the same among all your cluster nodes.
See whether this problem will disappear.

--
Best Wishes!
顺送商祺!

--
Chen He
(402)613-9298

Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.

Posted by Deepak Diwakar <dd...@gmail.com>.
Hey friends,

Fwd: Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Did you check task tracker log and log from your reducer to see if
anythng was wrong ?
Please also capture jstack output so that we can help you diagnose.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.
A little more on this.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bmdevelopment <bm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I've been getting the following error when trying to run a very simple
> MapReduce job.
> Map finishes without problem, but error occurs as soon as it enters
> Reduce phase.

> attempt_201006241812_0001_r_000000_0, Status : FAILED
> Shuffle Error: Exceeded MAX_FAILED_UNIQUE_FETCHES; bailing-out.
>
> I am running a 5 node cluster and I believe I have all my settings correct:
>
> * ulimit -n 32768
> * DNS/RDNS configured properly
> * hdfs-site.xml : http://pastebin.com/xuZ17bPM
> * mapred-site.xml : http://pastebin.com/JraVQZcW
>
> The program is very simple - just counts a unique string in a log file.
> See here: http://pastebin.com/5uRG3SFL
>
> When I run, the job fails and I get the following output.
> http://pastebin.com/AhW6StEb
>
> However, runs fine when I do *not* use substring() on the value (see
> map function in code above).
>
> This runs fine and completes successfully:
>            String str = val.toString();
>
> This causes error and fails:
>            String str = val.toString().substring(0,10);
>
> Please let me know if you need any further information.
> It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this problem.

It catches attention that changing the code to use a substring is
causing a difference. Assuming it is consistent and not a red herring,
can you look at the counters for the two jobs using the JobTracker web
UI - things like map records, bytes etc and see if there is a
noticeable difference ? Also, are the two programs being run against
the exact same input data ?