Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Simon Raess <co...@gmx.ch> on 2005/12/24 00:04:15 UTC

[mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)

Hi

We are using BEEP in an application (see http://beepcore.org/).
Unfortunately, the BEEP library we use proved to be unstable and the
development of it seems very slow. So naturally, I'm looking for
alternatives (that's were Mina comes into play). The core building
blocks of BEEP fit our application quite well (that's one reason we'd
like to keep the BEEP foundation).

BEEP allows to open several 'channels' over one 'session' (in the TCP
mapping of BEEP this results in multiple channels beeing multiplexed
over one single TCP connection). For each channel, there is a so
called 'profile', which specifies the messages exchanged over a
channel. The profile used on the first channel (channel 0) defines
messages used to create and close channels.

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid
idea' (tm)? Any ideas?

Simon Raess

Re: [mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Simon Raess wrote:

> As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
> guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
> anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid  idea'
> (tm)? Any ideas?

Not at all Beep is an excellent candidate for MINA and should be easily
built on top of what we have already.  It might be interesting to see if
there are changes that could be made to the MINA API to improve a Beep
implementation on top of MINA in terms of coherence, or performance.  I
don't think there needs to be any changes per se but I'd recommend
experimenting with it just to be able to get feedback in before a 1.0 of
MINA rolls out.  As far as I can see Beep can be implemented nicely
right on top of MINA.  I'd love to see an implementation of it here at
the ASF as part of MINA.

Alex

Re: [mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)

Posted by Simon Raess <co...@gmx.ch>.
Hi Trustin

On 24.12.2005, at 03:15, Trustin Lee wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> 2005/12/24, Simon Raess <co...@gmx.ch>: We are using BEEP in an
>> application (see http://beepcore.org/).
>> Unfortunately, the BEEP library we use proved to be unstable and the
>> development of it seems very slow. So naturally, I'm looking for
>> alternatives (that's were Mina comes into play). The core building
>> blocks of BEEP fit our application quite well (that's one reason we'd
>> like to keep the BEEP foundation).
>>
>> BEEP allows to open several 'channels' over one 'session' (in the TCP
>> mapping of BEEP this results in multiple channels beeing multiplexed
>> over one single TCP connection). For each channel, there is a so
>> called 'profile', which specifies the messages exchanged over a
>> channel. The profile used on the first channel (channel 0) defines
>> messages used to create and close channels.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
>> guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
>> anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid
>> idea' (tm)? Any ideas?
>
> It looks like BEEP is a protocol framework which defines core
> message formats and some communication procedure, and you can build
> your own protocol on top of it.  Right?

Yes, exactly.

> BEEP is definitely an interesting idea, and it will make protocol
> implementation much easier once it is implemented.  For now, MINA
> doesn't provide BEEP provider yet.  But we're very interested with
> it.  It can even bear SOAP messages.
>
> But we don't have much human resource for now to implement BEEP and
> provide it out-of-the-box unfortunately.  We might start on it
> after MINA 1.0 is released.  Of course, any contribution is welcome.

We might give it a try...

Simon

Re: [mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

2005/12/24, Simon Raess <co...@gmx.ch>:

> We are using BEEP in an application (see http://beepcore.org/).
> Unfortunately, the BEEP library we use proved to be unstable and the
> development of it seems very slow. So naturally, I'm looking for
> alternatives (that's were Mina comes into play). The core building
> blocks of BEEP fit our application quite well (that's one reason we'd
> like to keep the BEEP foundation).
>
> BEEP allows to open several 'channels' over one 'session' (in the TCP
> mapping of BEEP this results in multiple channels beeing multiplexed
> over one single TCP connection). For each channel, there is a so
> called 'profile', which specifies the messages exchanged over a
> channel. The profile used on the first channel (channel 0) defines
> messages used to create and close channels.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
> guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
> anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid
> idea' (tm)? Any ideas?

It looks like BEEP is a protocol framework which defines core message
formats and some communication procedure, and you can build your own
protocol on top of it.  Right?

BEEP is definitely an interesting idea, and it will make protocol
implementation much easier once it is implemented.  For now, MINA doesn't
provide BEEP provider yet.  But we're very interested with it.  It can even
bear SOAP messages.

But we don't have much human resource for now to implement BEEP and provide
it out-of-the-box unfortunately.  We might start on it after MINA 1.0 is
released.  Of course, any contribution is welcome.

Thank you for your great suggestion,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C