Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2014/05/11 18:12:25 UTC

Apache Brooklyn (incubating) update

[Cross-posted to the Brooklyn 'dev' list at Apache Incubator, and to
the 'user' and 'dev' lists at Google Groups. Apologies if you get
duplicates.]

All,

Since the vote passed to accept Brooklyn into the Apache Incubator[1],
things have been fairly quiet, so I thought it a good idea to post an
update for everyone's benefit.

It has been a slow start unfortunately, but the IPMC members are
starting to get up to speed on what's needed to bring us into the
Apache world. The recent apache.org mail outage[2] seems to have
resulted in some of our virtual paperwork being delayed - however that
has now been resolved so hopefully it won't be long before all our
IPMC members have their ICLAs filed and committer accounts ready to
go.

The things we immediately need to do include:
- Complete the Apache-hosted, GitHub-mirrored git repository for
Brooklyn, and then deprecate the existing repositories;
- Deprecate the Google Groups-hosted mailing lists;
- Put some content onto https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/

Stay tuned to find out more about this, and how our procedures for
contributing code will change. Personally I'd like to see all of these
tasks done by next week; however as I haven't done this before, I'm
not sure how long it will actually take :-)

After that comes the lengthier task of making sure that all our source
code complies with Apache rules, and making our first release under
the Apache Incubator.

Right now, most people do not need to take any action - but I would
recommend that readers on the Google Groups lists prepare themselves
by subscribing to the new 'dev' list by sending an email to
'dev-subscribe@brooklyn.incubator.apache.org'. For the moment, pull
requests will continue to be accepted on
https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn.

Thanks everyone for your support so far!

[1]https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201405.mbox/%3C20140501183431.GA2301%40Chips-MacBook-Air.local%3E
[2]https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/mail_outage

--
Richard Downer • Principal Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation •
http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com