Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/28 12:30:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Geronimo Customized Tomcat

Please vote for Geronimo Customized Tomcat 7.0.0.0

 Vote will be open for 72 hours.

 [ ] +1  approve
 [ ] +0  no opinion
 [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Staging repo:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachegeronimo-030/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachegeronimo-027/>

Source repo:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/external/tags/tomcat-parent-7.0.0.0/

--

I have run the servlet TCK, at least, it does not bring new failures.

I paste svn log to show the Tomcat revision :
r938833 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 17:13:40 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

[maven-release-plugin] prepare for next development iteration
r938831 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 17:12:51 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

[maven-release-plugin] prepare release tomcat-parent-7.0.0.0
r938824 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 17:00:58 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Merge Tomcat r938814 to fix the ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
r938801 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 14:52:22 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Revert the changes due to key verification error
r938794 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 14:11:44 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

[maven-release-plugin] prepare for next development iteration
r938792 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 14:11:19 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

[maven-release-plugin] prepare release tomcat-parent-7.0.0.0
r938790 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-28 14:01:21 +0800 (Wed, 28 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Fix an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException exception
r938375 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-27 17:33:06 +0800 (Tue, 27 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Merge r938373 from Tomcat trunk
r938331 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-27 14:52:17 +0800 (Tue, 27 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Not sure why those configurations are missed while copying them from
tomcat-archetype...
r938306 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-27 11:14:03 +0800 (Tue, 27 Apr 2010) | 1 line

Use the released spec versions
r938303 | xuhaihong | 2010-04-27 10:53:48 +0800 (Tue, 27 Apr 2010) | 1 line

GERONIMO-4980 new tomcat snapshot at rev 938302

Thanks
Ivan

Re: [VOTE] Release Geronimo Customized Tomcat

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
OK ......
Thanks for clarifying it. If those classes are used for annotation scanning,
we would be lucky, as Geronimo almost takes most of the annotation scanning
work. Will check how to remove those two classes.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> IIUC then I think we do need to fix this for the following reasons:
>
> 1) We are releasing these artifacts - even if they are copies of Tomcat artifacts.  The artifact is being released under the groupID "org.apache.geronimo.ext.tomcat" and it is being released in source (not just binary) form.

I agree with your general conclusion, but don't necessarily agree with how you got there... :-). I definitely agree with your statement in 1).

> 2) In addition to that, I can't see where Tomcat has actually ever released these files - so it may be that we are "pre-releasing" them rather than "re-releasing" them.  I see a tag for Tomcat 7.0.0 RC1 but I don't see any artifacts available yet on any repositories.

As far as I can tell, Tomcat never concluded their vote on 7.0.0. I would assume the vote is cancelled. The issue of these two files was raised in their vote. And the possibility of removing them was also suggested. More below...

<snip>

>> On 4/30/10 1:10 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>>
>>> -1 (sorry)
>>>
>>> There are some files with invalid license headers:
>>> /util/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/bcel/classfile/EnclosingMethod.java
>>>
>>> /util/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/bcel/classfile/LocalVariableTypeTable.java

The license headers are not Apache source license headers. However, this does not necessarily make them invalid source for an Apache release. The files are not AL2 licensed. So, it makes sense that they would not contain an Apache source license header. Apache releases can contain source files that are licensed under a number of licenses that the ASF has determined to be compatible with AL2. Here is a pretty good overview -- http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

The source files in question were originally CPL Licensed. There's a further comment that the ASF has elected to distribute the file under an EPL license. I haven't looked to see when this "relicense" occurred, or if I agree with it. For this discussion it's largely irrelevant. CPL and EPL are equivalent for the purposes of this discussion.

From the web site, you'll note that both CPL 1.0 and EPL 1.0 are Category B licenses. As such, these files could not be included in an Apache *source* release (they could be included in binary form), unless they fall into the following exclusion:

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
IIUC then I think we do need to fix this for the following reasons:

1) We are releasing these artifacts - even if they are copies of Tomcat
artifacts.  The artifact is being released under the groupID
"org.apache.geronimo.ext.tomcat" and it is being released in source (not
just binary) form.

2) In addition to that, I can't see where Tomcat has actually ever
released these files - so it may be that we are "pre-releasing" them
rather than "re-releasing" them.  I see a tag for Tomcat 7.0.0 RC1 but I
don't see any artifacts available yet on any repositories.

Joe

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Oh ... one more little thing I forgot to mention is that the link to the
staging repo in the vote is incorrect as it resolves to -027 instead of -030

Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
-1 (sorry)

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
I just run the JSP TCk testing, no new issues are brought.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
+1