Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ma...@sungard.com on 2005/12/20 14:31:20 UTC

Struts with Java 1.5: HELP!!

Hi folks!

I'm in the process of transferring our webapp from java 1.4 to java 1.5.
All is well but (there had to be a but, eh?) the only thing is that I
get this following stack trace whenever I hit a page with the
"messagesPresent" tag:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

org.apache.struts.taglib.TagUtils.getActionMessages(TagUtils.java:819)

org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.MessagesPresentTag.condition(MessagesPres
entTag.java:95)

org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.MessagesPresentTag.condition(MessagesPres
entTag.java:71)

org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.ConditionalTagBase.doStartTag(Conditional
TagBase.java:176)

org.apache.jsp.Login.login_jsp._jspx_meth_logic_messagesPresent_0(login_
jsp.java:2947)
	org.apache.jsp.Login.login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:380)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:324)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)

It seems that some static code in TagUtils is yielding an exception but
I don't know struts code well enough to put my finger on it. Anyway,
even if I did, I don't know that it would the solution to my problem
since the issue is inside struts. Obviously this error doesn't appear
under java 1.4.2. So I'm left with two alternatives:

1-	Struts doesn't work (yet) under java 1.5 or...
2-	Maybe the "messagesPresent" tag has been deprecated and another
one should be used?

Any help would be much appreciated!

MG
--
Martin Goulet

Re: Struts with Java 1.5: HELP!!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/20/05, Martin.Goulet@sungard.com <Ma...@sungard.com> wrote:

> It seems that some static code in TagUtils is yielding an exception but
> I don't know struts code well enough to put my finger on it. Anyway,
> even if I did, I don't know that it would the solution to my problem
> since the issue is inside struts. Obviously this error doesn't appear
> under java 1.4.2.

This falls under the heading of  'obscure class loading problem' -- I
can't always pin down what's wrong, but some combination of
recompiling and restarting *usually* makes them go away.  If you
haven't already, try cleaning out the "work" directory in which your
servlet container places the compiled JSP code.

I have apps running in Tomcat 5.5 under JDK 1.5 using both Struts
1.2.7 and 1.3.0-dev.   The Struts 1.3 code and the application using
it were compiled with JDK 1.5, but 1.2.7 is from the distribution and
that app was compiled under JDK 1.4.  I haven't seen the problem
you're reporting.

What version of Struts are you using, and what Servlet container?

--
Wendy