Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "stefan.moser" <st...@wolverton.ca> on 2008/12/18 23:53:59 UTC

What is a reasonable limit for the number of topics?

I'm currently evaluating ActiveMQ for a financial application.  I want to
have a separate topic for each stock which means that for all of the markets
that we're following, we need close to 500,000 topics.  I ran into an
OutOfMemoryException when using v5.* after creating about 1,500 topics. (
http://www.nabble.com/java.lang.OutOfMemoryError%3A-unable-to-create-new-native-thread-on-AMQ-5.0-td17005441i20.html#a21079855
detailed here )  The exception does not occur with v4.1.1, but the broker
essentially grinds to halt after creating about 50,000 topics.

Before I go too far down this path, is 500,000 topics an unreasonable
expectation for ActiveMQ?  Are there any configuration tips for this type of
usage?

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: What is a reasonable limit for the number of topics?

Posted by gui pei <gu...@gmail.com>.
Why not use only one topic, in the same time, you can use JMS message
properties to identify different stock.
JMS use sql92 stand to support this function.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:53 AM, stefan.moser <st...@wolverton.ca>wrote:

> I'm currently evaluating ActiveMQ for a financial application.  I want to
> have a separate topic for each stock which means that for all of the
> markets
> that we're following, we need close to 500,000 topics.  I ran into an
> OutOfMemoryException when using v5.* after creating about 1,500 topics. (
>
> http://www.nabble.com/java.lang.OutOfMemoryError%3A-unable-to-create-new-native-thread-on-AMQ-5.0-td17005441i20.html#a21079855
> detailed here )  The exception does not occur with v4.1.1, but the broker
> essentially grinds to halt after creating about 50,000 topics.
>
> Before I go too far down this path, is 500,000 topics an unreasonable
> expectation for ActiveMQ?  Are there any configuration tips for this type
> of
> usage?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan