Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2004/05/31 22:07:13 UTC

Lockfile Problem Solved

Just thought I'd pass on some info I just discovered.  I've been successfully using the CVS head version of Lucene as of about 2 months ago.  I then got the formal release (1.4-rc3) and tried it with my application, but it failed.  I tried it with some commandline test routines and they worked fine, but not my application (runs under Tomcat 4.1.24, on a Windows XP/Pro).

After a lot of debugging, I discovered that IndexReader was trying to create a lockfile in a non-existent directory (called "temp" at the same level as the index directory).  After I manually created this directory, everything seems to be working fine.

(Why this happens only with the Tomcat application, and not commandline apps, I don't know.  Probably has something to do with JVM properties.)

Regards,

Terry

RE : Lockfile Problem Solved

Posted by Rasik Pandey <ra...@ajlsm.com>.
Hello

> (Why this happens only with the Tomcat application, and not
> commandline apps, I don't know.
>Probably has something to do with JVM properties.)

Tomcat 5++ uses a relative and sometimes uncreated java.io.tmpdir. A number of people, including myself ran into this problem with the the 1.4rc3 and so there was a patch added to Lucene (FSDirectory) last week or the week before to handle such cases. You may want to use the code in the Lucene HEAD......

Regards,
RBP