Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Milind Pol <mi...@spectram.in> on 2007/06/19 20:59:03 UTC

ofbiz implementation for a multi-organisation scenario

Hi,

I would like to get some information on how to use ofbiz for multiple
organisations. I figured out from some documents that it is possible using
parties but could not find any detail level document. Could someone please
let me know where I can find more information?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Milind

Re: ofbiz implementation for a multi-organisation scenario

Posted by Ajey <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi david, if we are not going for a multi-tanent concept but as user level
separation may also exist in the same organization, can we implement those?
Like if a person is having rights for catalog manager just to create and
view catalogs, products etc. but automatically he can have the
authentication for Product Store setting customization as Product Stores is
a part of Catalog Manager. So, is there any way, we can separate user even
in the same module with different views? I meant to say, whether it is
possible that the person handling one Product Store or One Facility can be
restricted for another Product Store or Facility?

David E Jones wrote:

> For something like SalesForce or NetSuite the data level permissions
> with roles and such would never be sufficient.
>
> You'd really be better off (less error prone, and those errors could
> be BAD BAD BAD) when doing this sort of "multi-tenant" type of thing
> to add a tenantId to EVERY entity in the system.
>
> It's a real pain in general though, so I wouldn't recommend getting
> into it lightly or without a HUGE budget. As soon as you do that you
> have to write your own reporting tools, data import/export tools, and
> pretty much everything else to be multi-tenant aware.
>
> -David
>

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Ajey wrote:
>

>> Hi, I'm reading the stuffs very carefully but couldn't find the
>> required
>> concept till date. As per David, things can be implemented like this
>> with
>> the help of roles and relationship. I don't know whether my thoughts
>> are
>> right or not but there are several roles defined in OFBiz and these
>> roles
>> must have distinct level of data and module access. Can anyone tell
>> me what
>> kind of security and authenticated access is associated with each
>> role so
>> that at the time of creating relationship among parties I can take
>> care of
>> all that to implement more granular security.

>>> As we are offering some service to T-System China, I found T-System
>>> had
>>> an SAP based on-demand system which customer could rent a scalable
>>> ERP
>>> service. Perhaps this is a trend not only for websites, but also for

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Or you could have a relationship entity to relate a party to a
particular piece of data. This has been discussed in the past, but an
implementation has yet to be devised -

http://www.mail-archive.com/ofbiz-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg06007.html

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ajey <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.

Posted by Ajey <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vince,
As per David and you, I got the essence abut still lot of things are there
to discuss. As we know that we can specify security group roles to persons.
But the security group should be more fragmented or I don't know whether it
is there or not. Suppose one organization have two web stores and their
respective two different websites. Now, the employees working for first
Product Store should not see the contents (like Catalog, Categories,
Products, Orders, Inventory, Parties) of another store. So, is there anyway
with which we can create authenticated logins to separate these views. If
the person is having Catalog rights, he/she can log in to and as the
"Stores" is a part of this Catalog Manager, the settings of another store
can be easily altered in a illegal way.
So, a differentiation of view and access is required even if we are
considering the concept of a Single Organization like separation of view on
Store level, Catalog Manager specific to a Product Store, viewing the list
of orders specific to a particular Product Store etc.
I know its a long post but the things were required to make my view crystal
clear. Please let me about the remedies.
Thanx.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:39 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:

> [For example, you cannot assign org ownership to entities such as
> parties, projects, products, etc. and then use security to restrict
> visibility to those entities. Based on my research on multi-org in
> OfBiz
> this is what I have found.]
> the Party itself is not assigned roles and security it is the login
> for
> the Party that gets assigned these. So the same partyID can have
> differnt logins with different security and roles.

That is true for the functionality level security. Another security
concept that exists in OFBiz is data level security, and the general
pattern for these is that the Party is associated with something else
in the system, like a ProductStore, and the relationship between the
two is described by a RoleType that can further describe the
relationship and constrain the permissions.

This is already used in various parts of the system, including parts
of the Catalog Manager, but is certainly not universally implemented
and "universal" implementation wouldn't really be possible... security
requirements just vary too much. Still, a default implementation for
all parts of OFBiz would be wonderful.

-David

Re: ofbiz implementation for a multi-organisation scenario

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
[For example, you cannot assign org ownership to entities such as
parties, projects, products, etc. and then use security to restrict
visibility to those entities. Based on my research on multi-org in OfBiz
this is what I have found.]
the Party itself is not assigned roles and security it is the login for
the Party that gets assigned these. So the same partyID can have
differnt logins with different security and roles.

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 2/10/2008 11:12 AM:

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.

Posted by Ajey <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.