Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/03 20:29:24 UTC

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta and Java Modularity

Hello, Charles!

TAP5-2641 is taking care of fixing the split packages problem, plus setting
automatic module names for all the Tapestry JARs ("org.apache.tapestry" +
project name, except for tapestry5-annotations, which will be
org.apache.tapestry-annotations'). Lots of classes needed to be moved
around, but I'll try to provide a tool to rewrite imports to alleviate the
problem.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:03 PM Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net> wrote:

> Thanks for announcing the Tapestry 5.5 beta, with Java 9+ support.
> We're experimenting with it now under Java 11 (since only 8 and 11 have
> long-term-support).
>
> We're finding that we must use java modules (module-info.java) in order
> to compile, due to issues with the java.xml packages that we use.  (Long
> story.)
>
> Has anyone done this (i.e., use java modules) successfully with Tapestry
> 5.5?  I keep getting errors like:
>
>     error: the unnamed module reads package
> org.apache.tapestry5.internal.beaneditor from both tapestry.core and
> beanmodel
>
> ...which suggests that the Tapestry jars may have 'split packages', i.e.
> the same package name in different jars.
>
> We're still learning the ins-and-outs of Java Modularity, so it may
> simply be my confusion.  But any thoughts are most welcome!
>
> One possible (crude) workaround may be to merge the tapestry jars into a
> new (single) jar, and treat that as a single "automatic module".  I'll
> try that if nothing else works, and report back.

Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta and Java Modularity

Posted by Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net>.
Thank you!

On 10/3/2020 4:29 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> Hello, Charles!
>
> TAP5-2641 is taking care of fixing the split packages problem, plus setting
> automatic module names for all the Tapestry JARs ("org.apache.tapestry" +
> project name, except for tapestry5-annotations, which will be
> org.apache.tapestry-annotations'). Lots of classes needed to be moved
> around, but I'll try to provide a tool to rewrite imports to alleviate the
> problem.
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:03 PM Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for announcing the Tapestry 5.5 beta, with Java 9+ support.
>> We're experimenting with it now under Java 11 (since only 8 and 11 have
>> long-term-support).
>>
>> We're finding that we must use java modules (module-info.java) in order
>> to compile, due to issues with the java.xml packages that we use.  (Long
>> story.)
>>
>> Has anyone done this (i.e., use java modules) successfully with Tapestry
>> 5.5?  I keep getting errors like:
>>
>>      error: the unnamed module reads package
>> org.apache.tapestry5.internal.beaneditor from both tapestry.core and
>> beanmodel
>>
>> ...which suggests that the Tapestry jars may have 'split packages', i.e.
>> the same package name in different jars.
>>
>> We're still learning the ins-and-outs of Java Modularity, so it may
>> simply be my confusion.  But any thoughts are most welcome!
>>
>> One possible (crude) workaround may be to merge the tapestry jars into a
>> new (single) jar, and treat that as a single "automatic module".  I'll
>> try that if nothing else works, and report back.

Charles Roth
he.him.his
734-717-6803
lookfar.caucuscare.com <http://lookfar.caucuscare.com>