Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1999/10/15 09:09:42 UTC

Re: Apache license and GZIP

I am responding to this because it contains ASF questions.  Any further
discussion of this thread is pointless.

>Is the AS/400 port and some occasional fixes from Bill
>Stoddard for a Win32 version that no one really cares
>about anyway all that ASF really got out of this 'Blue Hat' deal?
>Or was there some cash infusion as well? I would hope so.

There was no "deal".  IBM is contributing people and code to work on the
project with the same status as the rest of the project members.  There
has not been any "cash infusion".  I wouldn't mind if there was a cash
infusion, but there hasn't been one yet, and cash had no bearing on the
access given to Bill, Manoj, Ryan, and now half-a-dozen or so IBMers
working on the project.

Anyone has the right to do the same.  If a person follows our rules and
wishes to collaborate in an open manner and has the persistence to do so for
a significant period of time, then chances are good that we will give them
the same "deal" as IBM.  That's because it is the same deal we have given
to all of our long-time contributors.

>We are now thinking what they heck... if they can do it then why
>can't we. No offense but it would certainly be easier for us to
>simply download your source, compile it, pop the bins onto a
>CD, bundle our Compression Server(s) onto the CD, erase the
>source, and then tell people that the thing called 'Apache' on
>that CD is free but the rest of the content of the CD costs
>$1,000+ dollars. If it's actually OK to simply do that then
>I'm suprised anyone is still getting anything directly from you.

You can do all that right now, except for calling it Apache, without ever
participating in this group.  That's what our license says.

But this is not news to anyone here, least of all you and your company.

I am tired of the baiting.  You have proven beyond any reasonable doubt
that your presence on this list is a detriment to our common goal of
producing Apache.  You will not continue this discussion further on this
list.  If you have anything further to say regarding our relationship with
IBM or compression technology or the products of RCI, you will do it off-list.
You are more than welcome to continue this diatribe on any USENET news
forum that doesn't include this list.  Likewise, for any and all employees
of Remote Communications, Inc.

Failure to comply will result in a formal vote on your banishment from
all mailing lists sponsored by the Apache Software Foundation.

* TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE APACHE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION AND ITS PROJECTS:      *
* This topic is closed.  Any further discussion will take place on        *
* the private lists, or in private e-mail.  Do not reply to this message, *
* or to any other message in this thread, without removing the list       *
* address from the recipients.                                            *

....Roy T. Fielding, Chairman, The Apache Software Foundation
                     (fielding@apache.org)  <http://www.apache.org/>