Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Gregg <jo...@techarch.com> on 2002/06/06 23:53:18 UTC

jdk 1.4 and Oracle drivers

Hi all.

Upon completing my most recent project I switched from jdk 1.3.1 to 1.4.
However now I can't start Tomcat (4.0.1) because it can't find the Oracle
jdbc driver class.  When I first started using Oracle with Tomcat, I renamed
the classes12.zip to classes12.jar.  Now no matter where I put
classes12.jar, I get the same error.  I've tried lib, common/lib,
server/lib, and webapps/<project>/web-inf/lib.  FWIW, I have a servlet that
runs at startup and tries to initialize a db connection pool.  This used to
work just fine and in fact still does with postgresql.jar.  I even tried
unzipping classes12.zip and actually jarring it up.  No luck.  I've traced
the problem in a debugger far enough to know that the StandardClassLoader
that should have classes12.jar in its scope doesn't.  In fact, of all the
stuff under common (classes and lib), it's missing classes12.jar and
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar.  Everything else is there.  I see those 2 jars overlap
somewhat, so I tried removing the latter to no avail.  I don't have any
other Tomcat installations and there aren't any jar files in multiple
locations.  I feel like I know everything about this problem but the answer.

thanks

john

RE: Classpaths

Posted by "Ushakov, Sergey N" <us...@int.com.ru>.
To Andrés Muñoz:

I believe this is the right answer for your question.
It is for Tomcat 4, but perhaps if you examine in you 3.x how tomcat.bat
calls cpappend.bat you'll find your way...

Regards, Sergey

Re: jdk 1.4 and Oracle drivers

Posted by Tia Haenni <ja...@kc.rr.com>.

Re: SOLVED: jdk 1.4 and Oracle drivers

Posted by Peter Mutsaers <pe...@mutsaers.com>.
>> "Jacob" == Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> writes:

    Jacob> Well, I have been using the classes12.jar in
    Jacob> TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.  I've used it with both the JNDI
    Jacob> javax.sql.DataSource deal provided by the Jakarta-Commons
    Jacob> project and another connection pooler.  I've never had a
    Jacob> single problem.  I've used JDK-1.3.x and JDK-1.4 and
    Jacob> haven't had to remove any classes from anywhere.  If you
    Jacob> are having to do this with Tomcat-4.0.3, I suggest an
    Jacob> upgrade to the latest 4.0.4 or 4.1.x betas.  They are

I use classes12.jar with tomcat-4.0.3 and JDK1.4 (solaris) and have no
problems. classes12.jar is unmodified in common/lib, didn't have to
remove anything.

--
Peter Mutsaers, Dübendorf, Switzerland.

Re: SOLVED: jdk 1.4 and Oracle drivers

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello John,

Well, I have been using the classes12.jar in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.
I've used it with both the JNDI javax.sql.DataSource deal provided by
the Jakarta-Commons project and another connection pooler.  I've never
had a single problem.  I've used JDK-1.3.x and JDK-1.4 and haven't had
to remove any classes from anywhere.  If you are having to do this
with Tomcat-4.0.3, I suggest an upgrade to the latest 4.0.4 or 4.1.x
betas.  They are plenty stable and fix some classloading issues.  I
pretty much skipped from Tomcat-4.0.2-b2 to nightly builds of 4.1
because of so many classloading issues with the final release of 4.0.2
(and 4.0.3 is just 4.0.2 + a security fix).

Jake

JG> Once I tapped in to the bootstrap process with my debugger a little earlier
JG> in the Tomcat startup process, I could see the conditions under which some
JG> jar files are excluded from the various class loaders.  The Oracle
JG> classes12.jar file contains the javax.sql stuff, which is now included in
JG> jdk 1.4.  Tomcat ignores any jar files that contain classes that were once
JG> separate from the standard jdk but are now part of it, such as the jdbc
JG> extensions, jndi stuff, etc.  The solution was simply to remove the
JG> javax.sql stuff from the Oracle clsses12.jar file.

JG> john

Best regards,

SOLVED: jdk 1.4 and Oracle drivers