Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> on 2015/06/11 23:17:52 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Hi Guys,

This has been lying around for quite some time. Should I start a voting
thread on this?

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Had to change the title of the page and that surprisingly changed the link
> as well. KIP-23 is now available at here
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56852556>
> .
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I just added a KIP, KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to
>> ConsumerGroupCommand
>> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-23>, for KAFKA-313
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-313>. The changes made as
>> part of the JIRA can be found here <https://reviews.apache.org/r/28096/>.
>>
>> Comments and suggestions are welcome!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ashish
>>

> --
>
> Regards,
> Ashish

Ashish

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Neha,

Answers inline.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Thanks for submitting the KIP, Ashish! Few questions.
>
> 1. Can you specify more details around how you expect csv output to be
> used. Same for json.

CSV takes less storage space and is more convenient for shell operations. A
simple diff between two csv outputs would tell you if something changed or
not. It's also common in certain industries when dealing with legacy
systems and workflows. Try importing JSON into MS Excel.

JSON on the other hand has easy interpretation, compact notation and
supports Hierarchical Data. If someone is planning to run the tool
periodically and send the output to some server or even just persist it
somewhere, JSON is probably the way to go.

2. If we add these options, would you still need the old format. If
> csv/json offers more convenience, should we have a plan to phase out the
> old format?

Probably not, but having it around will not hurt. Having three output
formats is not that bad and I do not expect this list to grow in future.

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > Jun,
> >
> > Can we add this as part of next KIP's agenda?
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe bring it up at the next KIP call, to make sure everyone is aware?

> voting

> the
> > > link
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56852556>

> options
> > > KAFKA-313
> made
> > as
> > > https://reviews.apache.org/r/28096/>.

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashish

> Neha

Ashish

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for submitting the KIP, Ashish! Few questions.

1. Can you specify more details around how you expect csv output to be
used. Same for json.
2. If we add these options, would you still need the old format. If
csv/json offers more convenience, should we have a plan to phase out the
old format?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Jun,
>
> Can we add this as part of next KIP's agenda?
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Maybe bring it up at the next KIP call, to make sure everyone is aware?
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > This has been lying around for quite some time. Should I start a voting
> > > thread on this?

> > link
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56852556>

> > KAFKA-313
> as
> > https://reviews.apache.org/r/28096/>.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ashish
> >

> --
>
> Regards,
> Ashish

Neha

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
Jun,

Can we add this as part of next KIP's agenda?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Maybe bring it up at the next KIP call, to make sure everyone is aware?
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > This has been lying around for quite some time. Should I start a voting
> > thread on this?
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Had to change the title of the page and that surprisingly changed the
> link
> >> as well. KIP-23 is now available at here
> >> <
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56852556>
> >> .

> KAFKA-313
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/28096/>.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ashish
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashish

Ashish

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-23 - Add JSON/CSV output and looping options to ConsumerGroupCommand

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.