Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/06/05 23:02:49 UTC

[MENTORS] Adobe Pixel Bender as prerequisite

Hi Mentors,

One of the binary file types called out by RAT are .PBJ files, the compiled output of .PBK source files (which are text).  A PBJ is essentially the bytecode for an image processing algorithm.  The Flex SDK uses a handful of PBJ files for special effects.  The only compiler for PBK files is the Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit.  It has a command-line utility that will allow automatic compilation of PBK to PBJ.  The Flash runtime supports PBJ files.

I would like to add the Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit to our list of prerequisites (along with Adobe Flash Player SDK, Adobe AIR SDK, Apache Ant, and Java).  Will that pose a problem for a release?

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: [MENTORS] Adobe Pixel Bender as prerequisite

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/5/12 7:20 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Free as in no cost or free as in open source and if so what licence?
Free as in no cost.  It is has an Adobe license, just like FlashPlayer and
AIR SDKs.

> I could only find this [1], and have no idea if it is current. I a bit vague
> of exactly want can and can't be included but the terms of use seem to exclude
> it being used in the Apache Flex SDK? eg "only for the purpose of internal
> development of application programs designed to function with Adobe
> products.".
We're not including it, we are making it a prerequisite.  And we intend it
to be used with Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR.

> Just out of interest could it be removed? I assumed it's only use in a few
> places and was mostly added to speed up transitions between views on
> mobile????
We could remove them (there aren't too many) but I think it would likely
break some effects.  It depends on who is using them.  The spark wipe
effects use them, but I don't know for sure why.  I don't know if folks are
using the mx shader classes, but they also use pbj files.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Free as in no cost or free as in open source and if so what licence?

I could only find this [1], and have no idea if it is current. I a bit vague of exactly want can and can't be included but the terms of use seem to exclude it being used in the Apache Flex SDK? eg "only for the purpose of internal development of application programs designed to function with Adobe products.".

Just out of interest could it be removed? I assumed it's only use in a few places and was mostly added to speed up transitions between views on mobile????

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/pixelbender3d.html

Re: [MENTORS] Adobe Pixel Bender as prerequisite

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/5/12 3:06 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is it free?
Yes

> Given the list of prerequisites, what are the OS choices to build from source?
Mac and Win for sure.  I'm not sure how well we're working on Linux.

> Does PixelBender limit these?
There is no Pixel Bender compiler for Linux.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Rotem Hecht Studio <th...@012.net.il> wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> My name is Rotem Hecht, and some how in last few days my email address got
> into your system, and I get all the communications between you guys.
>
> Can you please send email to all of your colleges to remove my address,
> thanks
>
> Rotem

Regards,
Dave