Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/06/02 03:11:08 UTC

Sometimes you need to throw the fish back...

Tonight's Gump run will be with:

   Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-b24)
   Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1-b24, mixed mode)

The logs for yesterday's trial with the JDK 1.4 beta will remain on the
Apache site for a minimum of a month.

I submitted my first bug report from this effort.  See below for details.
If this gets positive results, I will go back and repeat this with the
other problems I found.  If new betas become available, I will test them
out.  Otherwise, I encourage people to forward the summary I sent
previously to people who can make a difference.

- Sam Ruby

---------------------- Forwarded by Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM on 06/01/2001
09:03 PM ---------------------------

nobody on 06/01/2001 09:00:38 PM

To:   rubys@apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Your Report: JDK1.4 additions to java.sql.Connection causes
      compatibility problems

Your report has been assigned an internal review ID of: 125649

This review ID is NOT visible on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC).

We greatly appreciate your interest in improving the quality
of Java(tm) Technology from Sun Microsystems.

Please be aware that the large volume of reports we receive
sometimes prevents us from responding individually to each
message.

We currently have a three week response time for responding to
Bug Reports.  If the information is determined to be a new bug,
or a duplicate of a known bug, you will receive a followup email
containing a seven digit bug number.  You may search for this bug
number on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC) at this URL:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/index.html.

If you just reported an issue that could have a major
impact on your project and you require a response,
please consider purchasing one of the support offerings
at this URL:
    http://java.sun.com/support/index.html
dateCreated: Fri Jun 01 18:00:34 PDT 2001
type: bug
cust_name: Sam Ruby
cust_email: rubys@apache.org
jdcid: rubys
status: Waiting
category: java
subcategory: jdbc
company: Apache
release: merlin-beta
hardware: x86
OSversion: Linux
priority: 4
synopsis: JDK1.4 additions to java.sql.Connection causes compatibility
problems
1.4.0-beta-b65)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-beta-b65, mixed mode)

Attempting to compile jakarta-struts on JDK1.4 produces the following
errors:

[javac] Compiling 132 source files to /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/target/library/classes
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define java.sql.CallableStatement prepareCall(java.lang.String, int, int,
int)
from interface java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define java.sql.Statement createStatement(int, int, int) from interface
java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define java.sql.Savepoint setSavepoint() from interface
java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define java.sql.Savepoint setSavepoint(java.lang.String) from interface
java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define void rollback(java.sql.Savepoint) from interface
java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define java.sql.PreparedStatement prepareStatement(java.lang.String, int,
[...]
define void releaseSavepoint(java.sql.Savepoint) from interface
java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define void setHoldability(int) from interface java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericConnection.java:89: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection must be declared abstract. It does
not
define int getHoldability() from interface java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class GenericConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^
    [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-
struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/util/GenericDataSource.java:626: class
org.apache.struts.util.GenericConnection is an abstract class. It can't be
instantiated.
    [javac]             return (new GenericConnection(this, conn,
autoCommit,
readOnly));
    [javac]                     ^
    [javac] Note: 25 files use or override a deprecated API.  Recompile
with "-
deprecation" for details.
    [javac] 13 errors, 1 warning
workaround: Remain on JDK 1.3
comments: (company - Apache , email - rubys@apache.org)

Re: Sometimes you need to throw the fish back...

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> I submitted my first bug report from this effort.  See below for details.
> If this gets positive results, I will go back and repeat this with the
> other problems I found.  If new betas become available, I will test them
> out.  Otherwise, I encourage people to forward the summary I sent
> previously to people who can make a difference.

Oops, I sent a reply before reading this email.  I'd encourage you to
file bugs on the other components too (except the crimson bug which has
already been fixed).  There is a group of people dedicated to processing
bugs in Bug Parade and entering them into Sun's internal bug tracking
system.

-Edwin