Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/16 16:39:14 UTC

svnserve issue

I am unable to start svnserve as a service.  If I invoke (as root) 'svnserve
-d -r /path/to/repository' it works fine, but when I invoke 'service
svnserve start' it reports [Failed].  Can anyone please help me?

Wes

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 22 Jun 2007, at 15:57, Kris Deugau wrote:

> Jeremy Pereira wrote:
>> On 21 Jun 2007, at 01:36, Wesley Hobbie wrote:
>>> Xinetd is not running.  I tried to invoke 'service xinetd start'
>>> and I get
>>> an error xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found :-(.
>> You are trying to run xinetd with xinetd by doing this :-)
>
> Er, what?  "service <blah> start" is nominally equivalent to "/etc/
> init.d/<blah> start" on most Linux distros I've met.  Depending on
> the age of the distro, you may need to use /etc/rc.d/init.d/<blah>
> instead - although that *won't* work at all on some - recent
> Debians, for instance.  >:(  Actually, the error sounds like xinetd
> isn't installed at all.

I made the mistake of going by the copy of service on my Mac OS X box
which looks to see if there is an xinetd version of the service and
starts that if it's there.  I didn't bother to scroll down to what it
does if it cannot find an xinetd service because the OP was talking
about xinetd configs etc. I've just checked it again and it does fall
back to /etc/rc.d scripts after checking for an xinetd service.  The
OP seemed to suggest that his service does the same thing (of
checking for an xinetd.d service first).

>>  By typing
>> service svn start
>> you are telling xinetd to start monitoring the svn port (3690).
>
> Not quite;  as I note above, this is equivalent to "/etc/init.d/svn
> start".  Which won't do much more than error out if you don't have
> an init script called svn...

See above.

> From one of the OP's messages, I recall seeing that the Subversion
> package he installed shipped an xinetd configuration fragment,
> sensibly disabled by default.  He's made the change to that file
> necessary to enable svn as an xinetd service, but xinetd itself
> seems to be misbehaving (or missing) now.

See above.  The service script on my box actually seds the xinetd
file for the service you are starting and then sends a HUP to xinetd.

Anyway, judging by subsequent posts, this is definitely an xinetd
issue and the subversion list is probably not the place to trouble
shoot it.

RE: svnserve issue

Posted by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Kris,
Well it is not a fresh install, I had Mandriva 2007 and xinetd and svnserve
were working great; I upgraded to Mandriva 2007 Spring and this is when the
problem arose.  Anyways, thanks for your time, I will try contacting
Mandriva about the xinetd issue.

Wes

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

RE: svnserve issue

> On 21 Jun 2007, at 01:36, Wesley Hobbie wrote:
>
>> Xinetd is not running.  I tried to invoke 'service xinetd start' and
>> I get an error xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found :-(.
>
> You are trying to run xinetd with xinetd by doing this :-)

Er, what?  "service <blah> start" is nominally equivalent to
"/etc/init.d/<blah> start" on most Linux distros I've met.  Depending on the
age of the distro, you may need to use /etc/rc.d/init.d/<blah> instead -
although that *won't* work at all on some - recent Debians, for instance.
>:(  Actually, the error sounds like xinetd isn't installed at all.

xinetd services are a special case, you don't start them separately, you
change the xinetd configuration (etc.xinetd.conf and files in
/etc/xinetd.d) and (re)start xinetd.  xinetd usually logs information about
active services to /var/log/messages.

Running:

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart;tail -f /var/log/messages

usually helps see any immediate complaints xinetd may have about
configuration for any of the services it's supposedly been told to handle.

(FWIW, I've never really used "service";  it wasn't there when I started
getting paid working on Linux systems, it's not there at *all* on some
current distros (never mind "real" Unixes), and I've never found anywhere I
needed it.  Checking a bit further, it's just a thin /bin/sh wrapper around
a call to the init script in /etc/init.d anyway.)

>  By typing
>
> service svn start
>
> you are telling xinetd to start monitoring the svn port (3690).

Not quite;  as I note above, this is equivalent to "/etc/init.d/svn start".
Which won't do much more than error out if you don't have an init script
called svn...

 From one of the OP's messages, I recall seeing that the Subversion package
he installed shipped an xinetd configuration fragment, sensibly disabled by
default.  He's made the change to that file necessary to enable svn as an
xinetd service, but xinetd itself seems to be misbehaving (or missing) now.

> Svnserve will not actually run until a request comes in.

This is correct if you're using xinetd to call svnserve.  (Or inetd, or any
one of its other various replacements.)

>  You would also need to take steps to make it run at boot time which
> involves putting a symbolic link in /etc/rc.d/rcn.d where n is the
> runlevel you want it to activate under (usually 2 or 3).
> However, there's probably a graphical interface that will manage all
> this for you.  Under SuSE you would use yast2, but it will be
> different under Mandriva.

I can't comment on GUI-based tools to manage SysV init symlinks, (Servers
Don't Need GUIs <G>) but on any RedHat-derived systems I've met (this
includes RHEL and its rebuild-from-source clones, Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva,
and probably a few others), this can be done at the command line with the
chkconfig command.

"chkconfig --list" shows which services are to be started and stopped in
which runlevels.  "chkconfig <servicename> on" sets that service to be
started according to information embedded in its init script.  The only
exceptions are services handled through xinetd, which must be configured
through xinetd's configuration files and xinetd enabled.

-kgd

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Jeremy Pereira wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2007, at 01:36, Wesley Hobbie wrote:
>
>> Xinetd is not running.  I tried to invoke 'service xinetd start' and I
>> get
>> an error xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found :-(.
>
> You are trying to run xinetd with xinetd by doing this :-)

Er, what?  "service <blah> start" is nominally equivalent to
"/etc/init.d/<blah> start" on most Linux distros I've met.  Depending on
the age of the distro, you may need to use /etc/rc.d/init.d/<blah>
instead - although that *won't* work at all on some - recent Debians,
for instance.  >:(  Actually, the error sounds like xinetd isn't
installed at all.

xinetd services are a special case, you don't start them separately, you
change the xinetd configuration (etc.xinetd.conf and files in
/etc/xinetd.d) and (re)start xinetd.  xinetd usually logs information
about active services to /var/log/messages.

Running:

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart;tail -f /var/log/messages

usually helps see any immediate complaints xinetd may have about
configuration for any of the services it's supposedly been told to handle.

(FWIW, I've never really used "service";  it wasn't there when I started
getting paid working on Linux systems, it's not there at *all* on some
current distros (never mind "real" Unixes), and I've never found
anywhere I needed it.  Checking a bit further, it's just a thin /bin/sh
wrapper around a call to the init script in /etc/init.d anyway.)

>  By typing
>
> service svn start
>
> you are telling xinetd to start monitoring the svn port (3690).

Not quite;  as I note above, this is equivalent to "/etc/init.d/svn
start".  Which won't do much more than error out if you don't have an
init script called svn...

 From one of the OP's messages, I recall seeing that the Subversion

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 21 Jun 2007, at 01:36, Wesley Hobbie wrote:

> Xinetd is not running.  I tried to invoke 'service xinetd start'
> and I get
> an error xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found :-(.

You are trying to run xinetd with xinetd by doing this :-)  It won't
work.

xinetd is a Unix daemon (equivalent to a Windows service) that runs
all the time and monitors ports on behalf of other programs.  When a
request comes in to connect to a specific port that it knows about
(as defined in the files in /etc/xinetd.d) it accepts the connection
creating a socket and fires up the program associated with that port
and pipes input and output from the socket to/from that program.  By
typing

service svn start

you are telling xinetd to start monitoring the svn port (3690).
Svnserve will not actually run until a request comes in.

Type

ps -ef | grep xinetd

at the command line and see if it gives you any output.  If not,
xinetd is not running and you must start it.  On most Linuxes I know
you would type something like

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

to get it going.  You would also need to take steps to make it run at
boot time which involves putting a symbolic link in /etc/rc.d/rcn.d
where n is the runlevel you want it to activate under (usually 2 or
3).  However, there's probably a graphical interface that will manage
all this for you.  Under SuSE you would use yast2, but it will be
different under Mandriva.

If you find xinetd is already running, then the problem must be in
your xinetd config somewhere.  You can probably get an idea what it
is by trying to start svnserve and checking the system log for error
messages.

Having said all the above, my real advice is to find somebody who
understands about Linux daemons and xinetd and get them to help you.
Please don't be insulted but, judging by your attempt to start xinetd
as an xinetd service, your level of competence on Linux is probably
not (yet) high enough to be messing about with this stuff on your
own. You could break something quite badly if you are not careful.

RE: svnserve issue

Posted by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.

RE: svnserve issue

Posted by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

RE: svnserve issue

Posted by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com>.
I have Mandriva 2007, the subversion-server RPM package provides the
/etc/xinet.d/svnserve script.  By default the disable is set to 'yes'.  I
edited the file to set the disable to 'no' and to set the server_args to "-i
-r /usr/local/repositories".
My /etc/xinet.d/svnserve file is as follows:
# default: off
service svnserve
{
    disable		= no
    port		= 3690
    socket_type		= stream
    protocol		= tcp
    wait		= no
    user		= svn
    server		= /usr/bin/svnserve
    server_args		= -i -r /usr/local/repositories
}

> That said, do you want svnserve running constantly ("service" or
daemonized), or do you > want it called from (x)inetd on an as-needed basis?
If you want it called from inetd
> or some similar replacement, you'll have to configure that with the
appropriate call;  > for xinetd something like this should work:

I want it to start at boot and run constantly, just like apache, samba, and
other services.  I do not want to have to open a command prompt and invoke
it as a daemon every time I boot up (or reboot) the system.

> You could remove the type and port lines, and add this line to
> /etc/services:

> svn	3690/tcp	# Subversion

The following line already exists in my /etc/services file, put their by the
subversion-server RPM package:
svn	3690/tcp	svnserve	# Subversion

Let me know if you need any more information.  Please help me if you can.
Wes

> Hi, I am trying to run this as a service on Linux (xinet service), not
> as a Windows service on Windows.

> Wesley Hobbie wrote:
>> I am unable to start svnserve as a service.  If I invoke (as root)
>> 'svnserve -d -r /path/to/repository' it works fine, but when I invoke
>> 'service svnserve start' it reports [Failed].  Can anyone please help me?

I don't know of any Linux distro packages for Subversion that provide the
init script (eg, /etc/init.d/svnserve) that "service <x> (start|stop|...)"
requires.  Nor does a source install, IIRC.

That said, do you want svnserve running constantly ("service" or
daemonized), or do you want it called from (x)inetd on an as-needed basis?
If you want it called from inetd or some similar replacement, you'll have to
configure that with the appropriate call;  for xinetd something like this
should work:

Save the following to /etc/xinetd.d/svn:

service svn
{
	socket_type	= stream
	wait		= no
	type		= UNLISTED
	port		= 3690
	user		= svnuser
	server		= /usr/bin/svnserve
	server_args	= -i -r /path/to/repositories
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
}

You could remove the type and port lines, and add this line to
/etc/services:

svn	3690/tcp	# Subversion

Restart xinetd, and then when a connection comes in to the system, xinetd
starts up svnserve with the right user and arguments.  Note that I switched
-d for -i so that svnserve knows it's being called from an inetd of some
flavour instead of trying to bind to port 3690 and sticking around to handle
incoming requests directly.

-kgd

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

Re: svnserve issue

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 16 Jun 2007, at 22:07, Wesley Hobbie wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to run this as a service on Linux (xinet service),
> not as a
> Windows service on Windows.

You need to at least post your xinetd config file for svnserve,
otherwise we are all guessing.

RE: svnserve issue

Posted by Wesley Hobbie <wh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: svnserve issue