Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2003/12/20 03:41:05 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [PMC:Proposal] Subversion Pilot]

Just wanted to make sure the dev list got this email.
Will make sure I post on dev list wrt this conversation.

> >>My recent exposure to ClearCase also increases my fear that it is an
> >>over-engineered product, but I may be utterly wrong. I like the fact that 4
> >>commands does my daily job, not the 15 or so commands in CC.
> >>

> >Not at all! Subversion actually is a simplification not a further
> >complication.  It makes life easier and more exact.  CVS lies about
> >some things but subversion is true.  Subversion is all about KISS.
> >
> >I would opt to doing all of Avalon and not just the sandbox so
> >people are forced to take the dive.  Niclas force it on yourself
> >go for it man.  In less than an hour your doing things as fast as
> >you used to with CVS.  And further more its more efficient at some
> >operations as well.
> >
> >Come on take the plung - you'll like it I promise :-)!  I know
> >you will from your personality.
> >
> >Alex

Alex

RE: [Fwd: Re: [PMC:Proposal] Subversion Pilot]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > One boss says = PMC list
> > The second "boss" says = Dev list.

Legally, there is one boss.  Socially, this is a collaboration of peers.

In my opinion, Berin is correct that the PMC is responsible for
decision-making.  And Stephen is also correct that the discussion "should"
happen on dev@.  All of the Committers who want to work on that codebase
would be impacted, and should have a chance to participate in the
discussion.  The PMC list is typically used when the PMC needs a private
place to discuss sensitive issues.  A bit of tact, and there would probably
not have been an issue.  Simply asking Berin why he wanted it on the PMC
list, rather than taking a "more aggressive" stance.

	--- Noel

Re: [Fwd: Re: [PMC:Proposal] Subversion Pilot]

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Saturday 20 December 2003 10:41, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>Just wanted to make sure the dev list got this email.
>>Will make sure I post on dev list wrt this conversation.
>>

>:o)
>One boss says = PMC list
>The second "boss" says = Dev list.
>
>I just don't know where to turn...

It's simple.

1. there are no bosses
2. there is a PMC that is there to represent *our* interests
3. that PMC elects a chair in order to represent *PMC* interest
   with Apache, generally towards external parties, and
   towards the board
4. and inrespective of the above, technical discussions belong
   on the dev list - because techical decisions are decisions
   that are out of scope of the PMC, Chair, or any other higher
   authority

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [Fwd: Re: [PMC:Proposal] Subversion Pilot]

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 20 December 2003 10:41, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Just wanted to make sure the dev list got this email.
> Will make sure I post on dev list wrt this conversation.

:o)
One boss says = PMC list
The second "boss" says = Dev list.

I just don't know where to turn...