Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2018/05/07 11:47:12 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Replace LuaJIT configurations with YAML

Hi,

I’d like to propose that we eliminate the existing LuaJIT configurations with a simple YAML format. This would be the first step towards a unified configuration format, and I think we have to admit defeat on Lua, and do something simpler and more normal for both developers and users.

There are only 2 (or 3) configurations using the LuaJIT configurations:

	logging.config
	sni.config

But, also see my other proposal of killing metrics.config, which is currently in LuaJIT as well.

If we agree to this, we’ll remove LuaJIT as a first class citizen from ATS v8.0.0. For the ts-lua plugin, we’ll continue to support this (of course), but it will require an externally provided LuaJIT distribution. We already have the —with-luajit configure option, and we’ll expand on that to auto-detect system level LuaJIT availability.

If there are no strong arguments against this proposal, I’d like to get this change done for ATS v8.0.0.

Thanks,

— Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace LuaJIT configurations with YAML

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 5:47 AM Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’d like to propose that we eliminate the existing LuaJIT configurations
> with a simple YAML format. This would be the first step towards a unified
> configuration format, and I think we have to admit defeat on Lua, and do
> something simpler and more normal for both developers and users.

+1. Keep it for plugins, (remap especially) but for config it seems
overkill.

Posted by "Steven R. Feltner" <sf...@godaddy.com>.
+1

From: Veiko Kukk <ve...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 4:03 AM
To: "users@trafficserver.apache.org" <us...@trafficserver.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace LuaJIT configurations with YAML

+1 from me too.

It would be nice to have modern, easily parsable (for whatever automation) configuration file syntax.

Veiko

+1

-Bryan

Posted by Veiko Kukk <ve...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 for replacing LuaJIT configs with YAML.

--
Derek

Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace LuaJIT configurations with YAML

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@oath.com>.

--
Derek

Re: [PROPOSAL] Replace LuaJIT configurations with YAML

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.